Extractor Fan- Bathroom. Yes or No

footsteps

Just wondering if bathroom needs an extractor fan, building a new house and builder says they're no good, not worth putting in but will put them in if we want.
Just wondering what ye think.

If you don't have an extractor fan what way will the steam from baths and showers be released? Presumably you don't want too big a vent to release the heat that you will be pumping in, if you are out all day it is a security risk to leave the window open and its not a good idea not to release the steam.

previous relevant threads might be of interest.

As the builder how he proposed to comply with the building regulations in relation to ventilation of that room without need for a fan.
Leo

Just wondering if bathroom needs an extractor fan, building a new house and builder says they're no good, not worth putting in but will put them in if we want.

Does the room have a window?

we have an extractor fan connected to our lighting in our bathroom and it is extremely effective, it runs for 10 minutes after a hot shower and clears the whole bathroom of steam and wetness. buy a good quality one and it is required for building regs.

I am renting a house with no etractor in the bathroom. Disaster! No point in letting your house get damp.

Web have one room with no windows that has an extractor. But its been installed poorly and isn't that effective. The room suffers from damp problems. So you need to look at the whole ventilation. I'm going to redo mine, making the pipe work that extract the air more smooth and straighter. I may even fit a strong fan.

silavent sdf series, low voltage [broken link removed] . this extractor has been in our bathroom since 2001 and appears to be still in perfect working order. it is located above the shower in the bathroom so the pipe is fed through the joists to the outside of the house.

Thanks for all the replies, will go ahead and put them in I think, I just didn't know what to think really!
There is a window in the bathroom.

Hi, I am new but thought I should share my experience. I recently had our main bathroom and downstairs shower room refurbished. My old extractor upstairs (average size bathroom) was fab. it was vented directly through the wall. The new extractor is useless and that is after pushing the installer and installation manager to vent it outside, they wanted to leave it in the loft. When I told them it was not effective they suggested I open the window when showering. I would have thought there was no point in the fan if I were going to do that. Is this how everyone usually showers? The downstairs fan (very small toilet/shower room) packed in before we had a chance to use the shower, five days after installation. They are both connected to the light switch. I always thought it would prevent damp problems to have them fitted now I'm not really sure. :confused:

We have a vent and a window in our bathroom, but felt neither were good enough to deal with the steam created by my :eek: loooonnnnng showers!!
So have just had the hassle of putting in an extractor fan - take a fool's advice and put it in from the get go!!:D

I recently got an extractor fan fitted in our ensuite and its not directly over the shower, it drips constantly in the mornings on to the floor after two showers (very annoying when trying to use the mirror where it is with water dripping on your head). I open the window while showering and there is still mould on the ceiling in one part. I've tried bleach, that special paint for mould and its still coming back. The attic is also insulated. I also have a vent in there and its still not working. There is no radiator in there though, could this be the problem or is it something else? So sick of trying to figure out what the problem is.

the only options in the building regs are a mechanical vent (extract fan) or an openable window. window option is better. mechanical vent works fine.

a must in an ensuite, over shower, bathroom with window, optional

Back