Extra phone extension - €100???

M

Mazz

I am looking for a telephone extension to be put into a spare room for the computer - just phoned Eircom to see what the price is and was told they dont do it anymore - she suggested getting someone from Eircom to do a nixer (if I knew anyone) or have a go myself as Eircom now contract this work out and it costs around €100! My problem with an extension lead is that the modem has to be plugged into the phone point also - does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Or does anyone who would do a nixer around the Drogheda area?

> My problem with an extension lead is that the modem has to be plugged into the phone point also

You can buy phone extension kits in most DIY and electronics stores and do the job yourself. One setup might be ... a two way splitter downstairs with the phone connected to one of the sockets and an extension lead to the upstairs/PC room connected to the other.

Upstairs you can either wire the end of the extension lead into a wall mounted phone socket

[broken link removed]

or else get an in-line coupler so that you can plug the extension lead into one end and the modem into the other end:

[broken link removed]

Try to make sure that you use good quality components, make sure everything is firmly connected and not to run the cable longer than necessary or near sources of interference in order to avoid problems with line quality and modem throughput.

Hand set, cable and clips should cost no more than €20 and take no more than 10 mins to install! DIY of course

Back