External insulation

Browneyedgirl4

Thinking of getting wraparound insulation on a 4 bed detached house. Has anyone got it done recently ? Our windows are double glazed upvc installed 8 years ago... can they be left in....would hate to have to replace them .....Also the gas and esb boxes are on the side of the house....what happens these during the works (are all the gutters removed also ..and roughly how much is it including the 4.5k grant. Has anyone found a considerable benefit from doing this work?

thanks

Thinking of getting wraparound insulation on a 4 bed detached house. Has anyone got it done recently ? Our windows are double glazed upvc installed 8 years ago... can they be left in....would hate to have to replace them .....Also the gas and esb boxes are on the side of the house....what happens these during the works (are all the gutters removed also ..and roughly how much is it including the 4.5k grant. Has anyone found a considerable benefit from doing this work?

thanks
Had exactly the same done 2 years ago

Your windows can be left in
They should extend your gas abs electricity meter boxes out. So these will remain in place but just be deeper.

The gutters will be removed and refit. We actually got the company to replace the gutters while they were doing it

The price will vary depending on the size sq m of material required to do all 4 walls and if scaffolding is required.

We have found it has made a significant difference in heat retention. Our house is warmer abs we have the heat on less.

We had our attic spray foam insulated around the same time

We had it done about 2 years ago - in hindsight we should have replaced our windows also as it seems they are a a big cause of heat loss - they are about 12 years old. Additionally i think you need to be sure your house is reasonably free of draughts - no gaps in skirting if you have a suspended floor etc. Its definitely a step in the right direction but not a iron clad guarantee it will make your house warmer. The company that did ours handled the ESB part - on the gas, im not sure as ours was not on the side wall.

If you don't move the windows flush with the existing (brick) wall you have the risk of creating a cold bridge, which lessens the benefit and also might create difficulties creating a sealing the window frames.
I'd certainly would discuss with any company what their stance is on this.

Thanks for all the advice .....did anyone get a heat pump too....that was my overall aim ...replacing the windows will add 15k but like you say it might be worth it to do so house is airtight ...with triple glazing etc. Would be 20k be a good estimate for the insulating?

If you don't move the windows flush with the existing (brick) wall you have the risk of creating a cold bridge, which lessens the benefit and also might create difficulties creating a sealing the window frames.
I'd certainly would discuss with any company what their stance is on this.
Yeah, you're pretty much guaranteed to be losing much of the benefit of the insulation while potentially causing condensation and mould issues.

did anyone get a heat pump too...
You'll need to be very sure your heating demands will be significantly lowered before considering a heat pump.

This guide covers the most common house types in Ireland and recommends the improvement options along with the cost/savings that should guide you as to what order you implement them.

Thanks that’s a useful guide....following the guide it will cost roughly 50k and more to bring the house up to an A3 rating ....considering Fossil fuel is on the way out from 2030 on new builds maybe it is worth the investment ....

We got external insulation done on our 1980's semi-detached house in 2010, upgraded the windows at the same time to triple glazed and boosted the attic insulation. I was just having a look at our gas usage figures last night. Our annual consumption average since then is only 53% of the previous average. The payback time is long though, I was working out that we saved about €4300 in gas in the meantime, based on today's prices. I don't know exactly what we paid for the job at the time, it was done in conjunction with other works, but definitely not in the black yet. However the big improvement is in comfort in the house, gone are the cold internal draughts that drop down on you when the air within a room cools and circulates.

We didn't need to get anything done with the gutters, there was enough room under the facias to accommodate the insulation. We left the windows in the same position when they were replaced. We looked at moving them out as suggested above, but it deepens the interior window-sill and requires re-decoration, which is especially problematic in rooms like a bathroom where there was tiling around the window. We haven't had any issue with dampness or mould since. The windows were replaced before the insulation was installed and maybe that is significant in terms of avoiding cold bridges, and also the external reveals were insulated as part of the job.

Our front facade was a mixture of brick at ground level and plasterwork above. There was a cavity behind the brick and we got pumped insulation in it. For the remainder of those walls we got internal insulation. The main thing I think, is to consider you house holistically. It's like a bucket of water; if you ignore a hole anywhere, the water/ heat will leak out, irrespective of how well it's protected elsewhere. I'm sure the materials and technology has improved since our job was done. The competence of the contractors is a critical factor too, hopefully most of them know what they are doing by now. Good luck with it!

So presumably the red brick just isn’t visible anymore? Are you in a housing estate? Does your house look very different to the rest now?
Correct. No redbrick visible at all
Entire house insulated and acrylic rendered.

It is a detached house, not in an estate but in a built up area. The houses on my road are a mix of styles and colours so it does not stand out.

Correct. No redbrick visible at all
Did you seek planning permission or get a certificate of exemption? I thought planning was required for a significant alteration to the character of a property.

Might become an issue if/ when you come to sell and the prospective purchaser's solicitor seeks confirmation of planning compliance.

Just a thought but if planning a kitchen extension should you do the wraparound insulation first or after ....
When externally insulating a section of the property, it would be most efficient to have the entire structure externally insulated. Otherwise you will end up with difficult to resolve cold-bridging issues around the extension. You would also have some added expense tackling the insulation in two stages.

Thanks for all the advice .....did anyone get a heat pump too....that was my overall aim ...replacing the windows will add 15k but like you say it might be worth it to do so house is airtight ...with triple glazing etc. Would be 20k be a good estimate for the insulating?
I would definitely recommend replacing the windows before installing a heat pump. As you are on gas I would not be keen to go down the heatpump route just yet, on oil there’s a better argument to do it. Depending on the age of your boiler I would look at replacing that with the view that you will have a very efficient boiler and in 10 to 15 years time heat pumps may have come down significantly in cost. Also keep in mind everything you do to reduce your energy need reduces the return on investment on boilers/heat pumps (energy prices excluded).

I would definitely recommend replacing the windows before installing a heat pump. As you are on gas I would not be keen to go down the heatpump route just yet, on oil there’s a better argument to do it. Depending on the age of your boiler I would look at replacing that with the view that you will have a very efficient boiler and in 10 to 15 years time heat pumps may have come down significantly in cost.
Good point, there would be a significant cost in replacing an existing gas system with a heat pump, and unless you're absolutely sure the energy requirements of the finished job will be a fraction of the current demand, the heat pump will cost more to run.

Back