External insulation

F

foley26

Have 50 yr old house that doesn't have cavity walls and don't want to reduce living areas by putting in internal insulation. I've heard there are external insulation panels that can be used - anyone out there have experience of doing that or can point me in the right direction?

They are available from many companys however the market leaders would be the products made by Webber & Sto. Both have approved applicator lists. It is by comparison to any other system very expensive as you have to render onto the insulation with a mesh between. It does work but the cost is the main disadvantage. If the house is semi detached you also have the problem with the divide.

They are available from many companys however the market leaders would be the products made by Webber & Sto. Both have approved applicator lists. It is by comparison to any other system very expensive as you have to render onto the insulation with a mesh between. It does work but the cost is the main disadvantage.

For reference, I was recently quoted 55K for 260mm Sto Therm Classic by an approved installer. This achieves a u-value of 0.15. That was to cover 370 sq metres of wall. Nothing terribly complicated about the design.

at €149 per square metre that is exactly my point. Given that 60mm insulation in your cavity wall costs about €7per m2 to buy thats a fair difference.

Did that include VAT?

I suggest you contact Kingspan and ask them for a list of who installs their external insulation board (K5). Contact these and get them around to survey your job. It may be straightforward or there may be many issues such as insufficient overhang of the roof, drain/down pipe problems, awkard windows, scaffolding required etc. All which I guess can be overcome by the installer.
Prices seem to vary from about 100 to 150 euro per square metre. So a quick run around with a measuring tape will give you a idea what to expect.
Regards
Franm

JFE, are you representing any particular company or product? If so, you should state your association with same, as advertising one's own services is not normally permitted on AAM.

Back