External house change- need permission?

micheller

We are building a house beside my mams and since seeing the dry dash we have had done, she is considering getting the front of hers done too.

Does changing the exterior dashing of an existing house require planning permission? My gut tells me no, but just like to be sure...

Thanks in advance :)

if i was to give my opinion i would say yes, purely for the reason that a change of facade finish is not included in the 'exempted development' list.

the only way to know for sure is to ask your local authority, but more often than not they will say it requires permission.

I would just say that dry dash isnt accepted in certain counties for rural dwellings, its more of a suburban finish.

Cool, thank you,will let her know.
It's slap bang in the middle of a town end of terrace so wouldn't be too worried about the finish (also it was AOK, our application was approved with it).

Thanks all,M.

True...

I told her that she may need PP, and to take a stroll down to the Coco offices, but she's changed her mind about it now :)
As is a womens perogative....:D

Anything that effects the streetscape requires planning permission (this is anything to the front of your property especially). In this case it will require planning permission as the councils are very keen to keep all buildings the same.

I doubt that most people get PP when they change the colour of their doors/windows/dashing. Should they?

technically yes they should if they change the colour, i have been involved with clients who had building control get on to them (someone complained) and they subsequently had to apply for retention. It happens alot with people adding porches, brickwork etc to front of houses.

Alot of people get annoyed when someone puts up dashing that looks totally different to the rest of the street.

technically yes they should if they change the colour,

I'm not being smart and I know this isn't what you were getting at, but a theoretical question :)....

what if I painted the front of my house black?
Surely they have no jurisdiction over the colour you paint the house?

they have full jurisdiction over building control and they could make you change it. If you look at the planning permission for any development clause one will always state that the building is to be constructed in accordance with the plans and specifications submitted. It will also have a clause which states that finishes to be agreed with council. In extensions it will say that all finishes to harmonise with existing.

They could make you change a colour if they feel its not in keeping with the other houses in the area.

It will always take someone complaining to them for them ever to do anything but they do have the power to make you change anything back to that which has planning granted.

Its sounds stupid in practice but they can do it.

Sorry again, I meant my comments for an existing 70 year old house where there may be no 'statement' of permission with all the details you refer to, not a new developement where the permission is for a set of specifics?
Same still apply?

It really comes down to its effect on the streetscape. Its easier to get away with changing a one off house then it is to change a house in the middle of a terrace.

A planning authority / building control are responsible for making sure that building regulations are adhered to:

The regulations set out basic requirements and refer to appropriate codes and standards to be observed in the design and construction of buildings and address the following matters:

1. Structure
2. Fire Safety
3. Safety Preparation and Resistance to Moisture
4. Materials and Workmanship
5. Sound
6. Ventilation
7. Hygiene
8. Drainage and Waste Water Disposal
9. Heat Producing Appliances
10. Stairway, Ladders, Ramps and Guards
11. Conservation of Fuel and Energy
12. Access for Disabled People

The Council has powers to inspect design documentation and buildings as well as powers of enforcement and prosecution where breaches of the regulations occur.

This is to all buildings new or old. When you change an old building you must do so in accordance with the latest building regulations which is where the above comes into play.

this is all by the letter of the law stuff and does not mean that you wouldnt get away with it. 1000's of houses change their colours and there is nothing ever done about it but the fact is the council could if they wanted to but they would tie up alot of hours and manpower trying to sort this out.

They could make you change a colour if they feel its not in keeping with the other houses in the area.

That's very interesting. I bought a house in a development of 14 in a small village a few months ago where houses are finished with either a stone facade or a cream-coloured rendered facade. One house, an end-of-terrace (ie with a large volume of gable end) is painted a hideously garish pink/lilac colour. It could probably be seen from Space. Despite this, I think it has changed hands since it was painted.
I've dropped an email to my CC to see if it can be returned to its original colour (with a guarantee of my anonymity of course!).

Back