External harddrive

stobear

Need recommendations of where to get an external harddrive, preferably driven by USB (signal and power) connection, a fairly small capacity (between 20G and 40G) which is robust and reliable.

Intended use is to backup valuable data from primary harddrive!

Elara have one for 96Euro, is this about the best value?

[broken link removed] have external USB 2.0 drives from €85 for 40GB in case that's of any use.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]External hard drive for USB2 port
Please select size under options:
- 40GB Eur 85 incl. VAT
- 80GB Eur 99 incl. VAT
- 160GB Eur 129 incl. VAT
- 200GB Eur 159 incl. VAT
- 250GB Eur 199 incl. VAT
- 300GB Eur 255 incl. VAT
ext. power supply incl. (2pin plug)
[/font]
Another option might be to check the prices of external drive housings and standard hard drives separately. Shop around.

If you could hang about for a bit, aldi or lidl are sure to come around with their hard disk offer again.
I recently got 2 of the 250gb disks for 150e each. Probably a bit more then what youre looking for though.

If money is an issue then you could try posting on the boards.ie wanted website..
[broken link removed]

Lidl have one on for €139 on Monday 13th. Spec is

# 250 GB external hard drive
# 7200 rpm
# Liquid baring for smooth and quiet running
# 8 MD cache memory
# Aluminium casing
# 3 year guarantee

[broken link removed]

Good timing stobear - Lidl looks like your best bet if you want to buy locally rather than online.

Thanks folks, having not turned up at Lidl before for such specials, is there a bit of stampede in to get these? I read somewhere here before that's its not such a rush?

The capacity is a bit larger than I need, but its definitely a deal!

stobear said:
.. not turned up at Lidl before for such specials, is there a bit of stampede in to get these? ..

Depends

A few weeks back I queued outside LIDL Baldoyle to buy a barbecue. I got there 30 minutes before it opened and there were 4 ahead of me in the queue. When the doors opened there were at least 20 behind me. I got the barbecue no problem but they were all sold out within 20 minutes of opening. About 2 hours later my sister-in-law went to LIDL Coolock and got one no problem without queuing or hassle.

Bear in mind that LIDL now open at 8:00.

You seem to be insinuating that the Lidl offer is somehow dodgy and inferior to alternatives on offer from the likes of Komplett. If this is so then can you explain the basis on which you formed this opinion please?

Is this good value and does it have USB 2 or firewire?

I want to back up the hard drive on my PC - how easy is it to do this to an External HD?

The Lidl external hard drive is USB 2.0. Don't think also supports FireWire. To backup to an external hard drive connected by USB should simply be a case of drag and drop from you internal hard drive to your external one which will appear as a new drive letter. Or using whatever backup utility that you normally use.

+++ Update on Lidl External Hard Disks +++

Lucan, leixlip and Tralee are sold out. Lucan only had five to begin with!

(I didn't get one, I'll have to get up earlier next time.)

There is a similar 300 GB version on sale in France and Holland from the 16th June, so presume we might see it in a few weeks?? (169 euro)

C2H5OH said:
There is a similar 300 GB version on sale in France and Holland from the 16th June, so presume we might see it in a few weeks?? (169 euro)

Great - I missed the current offer.

I don't know why Lidl get so few of these type of items into stock?
Sounds like they would sell a lot more if they had them!

If I miss the next Lidl offer I reckon I'll stump up for one from Marx Computers - 200 GB for 159 should suffice for my needs.

Hi all

Thinking about adding a hard drive. Have a FJS laptop, so not sure if I can add internally, did a system scan with Belarc, so if someone could tell me what info is relavant to checking compatibilty, I'll post details.

That aside, I like the look of [broken link removed] on komplett.ie, not really willing to wait around for Aldi/Lidl (Separately, my sister has been having issues with her Mp3 player and digital camera purchased in Lidl/Aldi, both were €200-€300, so not exactly 'cheap'). I checked out Elara and Marx, but komplett seem the most competitive for that size (200gb)

What are the key specs (apart from size)? Does the komplett 'model' above suit home use for laptop?

Any opinons/advice greatly appreciated.

CCOVICH said:
Hi all

Thinking about adding a hard drive. Have a FJS laptop, so not sure if I can add internally, did a system scan with Belarc, so if someone could tell me what info is relavant to checking compatibilty, I'll post details.

That aside, I like the look of [broken link removed] on komplett.ie, not really willing to wait around for Aldi/Lidl (Separately, my sister has been having issues with her Mp3 player and digital camera purchased in Lidl/Aldi, both were €200-€300, so not exactly 'cheap'). I checked out Elara and Marx, but komplett seem the most competitive for that size (200gb)

What are the key specs (apart from size)? Does the komplett 'model' above suit home use for laptop?

Any opinons/advice greatly appreciated.

A work colleague bought the Aldi external hard disk and it died within a month, losing all his data. Not recommended.

He did get them to replace it but of course his data was still gone.

You would be better off buying from Pixmania or Komplett.

what about ebay:

just one of the drives available there:

[broken link removed]

I know you should check out postage charges, and check sellers rating, this guy has 100% positive since 2002.

There are lots more, but, as i said, beware postage, specially from Far East.

have a 250 gb external drive in again on Thursday for €149. I'm amazed how small it is, looks like around the size of a video cassette?

Back