Extension to the Household Charge and Local Property Tax Deadline

mandelbrot

Deadline extended by a further 2 days due to the volume of calls today.

An Irish solution (extending deadline) to an Irish problem (huge numbers leaving it to the very last minute)... :D

[broken link removed]

I note that the hapless Phil Hogan panicked when the Local Authorities managed a derisory 80% collection rate of their version of LPT.

Thanks to the huge spend by Revenue and the (ab)use of every collection mechanism known to the system including threats - the collection rate rocketed to 88%.

I think that this is an excellent performance by Revenue.

The logging in system for LPT requiring your PPS AND PIN AND Property Number is worse than the worse excesses of even Ryanair.

Then to cap it all - how Revenue managed to avoid getting tax payers to file an annual tax return with the LPT wrapped in simply defies logic.

Had Revenue not extended the 'deadline' they might have had to admit that one of the links from their site was also unavailable.

Great stuff!

I note that the hapless Phil Hogan panicked when the Local Authorities managed a derisory 80% collection rate of their version of LPT.

Thanks to the huge spend by Revenue and the (ab)use of every collection mechanism known to the system including threats - the collection rate rocketed to 88%.
Wasn't the compliance rate with the household charge closer to 70% until it became apparent that it would be handed over to Revenue to be collected along with LPT?

Revenue reckon the LPT compliance rate at 93%(www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/lpt-stats-0214.pdf )

So 90% compared to 70% is pretty good, if you subscribe to the 80-20 rule.

I think that this is an excellent performance by Revenue.
I agree!

The logging in system for LPT requiring your PPS AND PIN AND Property Number is worse than the worse excesses of even Ryanair.
Better safe than sorry eh, data protection, identity theft yadda yadda yadda - you'd be on here beating a different drum if it wasn't secure enough. ;)

Then to cap it all - how Revenue managed to avoid getting tax payers to file an annual tax return with the LPT wrapped in simply defies logic.
It may defy your logic, but I doubt you'd find much support for the idea amongst the great unwashed. Out of curiosity, how many countries actually implement your utopian idea of compulsory tax returns for all?? And do those countries have similar historical baggage (post-colonial cute hoorism hardwired into the brains of a plenty of people - "will ya do me a cash price there boss").

Had Revenue not extended the 'deadline' they might have had to admit that one of the links from their site was also unavailable.

Great stuff!
OMG, I can see the headlines now: "Government body puts best face on potentially slightly embarrassing technical glitch" - hardly the Garda tapes Wizard... :rolleyes:

What's the 80/20 rule?

In relation to complication of the online LPT system why didn't they just use the NPPR system. Simple to register, simple to use and simple to pay.

What's the 80/20 rule?
80% of output is generated with 20% of the input. The last bit of anything to be achieved is always the hardest. In this instance, most people will pay up with minimum fuss but there will always be a rump who will require the state to make heroic efforts to gain compliance.

Back