Extension of free GP visit card after Budget 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, okay. I asked you what you would call the misrepresentation of the facts by the doctors unions and you seem to have done what they do and answered a different question.

I did answer it. I indicated that your claim that:
The medical sector constantly misrepresent this (lies about it)

was misrepresentaion of the truth. Or, as you would call that I suppose, "lies". I would be more inclined to regard it to selective perception.

We should be expanding the role of the nurse practitioner and creating more primary care hubs, across the country.
Practices could be run, under the management of a GP team, with nursing, and other allied health professionals managing the day to day healthcare. Along with a direct pathway for diagnostic referrals, xray, ultrasound, CT, MR, pathology tests, labs etc, it would cover much of the routine GP work.

Or, alternatively, develop a GP Training scheme, which is distinct from the traditional medical school. Medical training has hardly changed for 100 years, with strict dictats on hospital based placements, and post graduate internships. A well run course could train a Primary Care health professional in 4 years and they could be placed under the management of currently practicing GP's.

I did answer it. I indicated that your claim that:

was misrepresentaion of the truth. Or, as you would call that I suppose, "lies". I would be more inclined to regard it to selective perception.
So when representatives of the medical sector say that doctors are leaving the country due to pay and conditions and cite the number of medical graduates who "emigrate" after graduation as evidence you don't think that they are misrepresenting the truth?
They know that many of those graduates are going home and that they are required to go home but they present their departure as if it was due to pay and conditions here.
They know that they are going to Malaysia or whatever other country paid their fees but they present it as if they are going to Canada or Australia etc.

You think that's honest and truthful?

We should be expanding the role of the nurse practitioner and creating more primary care hubs, across the country.
Practices could be run, under the management of a GP team, with nursing, and other allied health professionals managing the day to day healthcare. Along with a direct pathway for diagnostic referrals, xray, ultrasound, CT, MR, pathology tests, labs etc, it would cover much of the routine GP work.

Or, alternatively, develop a GP Training scheme, which is distinct from the traditional medical school. Medical training has hardly changed for 100 years, with strict dictats on hospital based placements, and post graduate internships. A well run course could train a Primary Care health professional in 4 years and they could be placed under the management of currently practicing GP's.
Excellent suggestions. Nurse Practitioners are common in other countries and significantly reduce the workload on doctors.
They could also be used for things like vaccinations which should significantly reduce the financial burden in the State.

We train more doctors per capita than any other OECD country (not "in the world").
Just on that, what country does train more doctors than us?
We train 23.9. Denmark is second with 19.5. The USA is well down the list with 7.5. Israel is amongst the lowest with 6.8.

So when representatives of the medical sector say that doctors are leaving the country due to pay and conditions and cite the number of medical graduates who "emigrate" after graduation as evidence you don't think that they are misrepresenting the truth?
Sometimes some medical representatives have said this. Most times, in my recollection, medical representatives do not. They give a much more rounded and nuanced perspective.

Some representatives in every section of society sometimes see or present things selectively. Some exaggerate. Sometimes for effect, sometimes to highlight the wood from the trees. Sometimes it might really be the way they perceive it, for whatever reason, including strong personal feelings.

Some posts on AAM reflect this too. Probably for similar reasons.
Here is an example:
The medical sector constantly misrepresent this (lies about it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back