Exploding window!

bigred

Hi AAM community,

Hoping for some guidance if anyone has been through this situation.

We have several large tempered glass windows in our house that were installed about 2 years ago. One of them has literally exploded out of the blue and I'm told the likely cause is a Nickel Sulphide Inclusion in the glass and its rare event and we're just unlucky etc.

The window company's contract attempts to limit any liability in this specific scenario and they are not budging, they want a very hefty sum for the replacement and installation.

My question is how can this be compatible with our consumer rights - surely a window that spontaneously breaks is not of merchantable quality and fit for the intended purpose. Do we have a case?

This happened in my place of work on a very large window pane. The position of the window manufacturer and glass company were similar to above. Insurance wouldn’t pay out either. Work place ended up having to fork out for new glass which was pricey as it was on 2nd floor so cherry picker had to be used

There is a FB page called Self Build and Renovations Ireland, only a few days ago there was a discussion about this sort of thing, comes up fairly regularly, worth joining and doing a search to see what the solutions if any have been.

PS Search 'shattered window', certain companies seem to be worse for aftersale service too! One name crops up regularly, ironically I got all my windows from them 30 yrs ago and more again for extensions 15yrs and 1 yr ago, I've never had a problem with them.

Exact same thing happened this summer to a very large pane (internal) installed in my new kitchen extension roof last November. Thankfully we were away at the time because it would have killed anyone near it when it exploded & the small fragments left marks in the wooden floor, plastered ceiling & table.

My builder who had originally ordered it contacted the glazing company & had a new pane manufacturered & installed within weeks. There was no debate re liability although I am still waiting to hear back on the collateral damage, which I will be pursuing.

I would certainly not let them off the hook. Their product should be fit for purpose.

Back