Expenses for owning a property in Ireland (Dublin)

dinglee

Hi,

I want to know what expenses I'd expect to pay (including tax) if I own a property in Ireland but not having any income from it (not letting it out). I would use it as a holiday home (visit like once a year).

I'll full-pay the house price. There will be no mortgage interest. What other expense will I have to pay monthly / annually?

Thank you.

Approx. 0.18% of value of house in property tax annually (from July 2013).
Approx €250 per year standing charge for electricity connection.
In future there will be a water tax, probably with a standing charge.
€160 per year TV license if you keep one or more TV's there.
Cost of someone to cut your grass?
That's about it.

Also house insurance will be higher than normal for unoccupied home.Ballpark figure of 20% more than owner occupied home.

What about, if I let my cousin to live in a fully paid house? I don't charge her any rent. Her expenses (like bills and cutting grass) shall be paid by her.

Do I only pay property tax (0.18%) and nothing else, probably?

Probably cheaper to have your cousin live in it than nobody,as she will detect and prevent further damp,leaks, broken windows, storm damage, fallen drains, rodent damage -the list is endless. And that's besides any intruder damage.

An empty house can be more costly than one that is occupied.

Naturally there'd be more wear-and-tear if occupied -but very little if only one occupant

Dont forget the €200 NPPR charge. This is Non Principal Private Residence Charge applicable on every second home in the country.

Back