Expected Solicitors fees for buying a house

Foobar

As per title. Does anyone know how much we should expect to pay in Solicitors fees (assuming all goes well from us, the banks and the sellers)?

We have approval in principal and we are at the stage where need to look for a solicitor now. Being quoted online for 2000 euro, but we have no idea if that is reasonable or not. Is it better to find a local solicitor and do we need to meet them face-to-face?

Does the €2000 quote include VAT and all outlays or is it just the solicitor fee .
Whoever you get a quote from ask for a detailed itemised list of all expected outlays and is clear if VAT is included so you have a clear picture of what you will have to pay

Your best bet in sourcing any professional is to get recommendations from family members or friends whose judgment your trust.

€2,000 if it includes VAT strikes me as on the high side, but not way off. Outlays a few hundred € extra.

Many try to charge as a % of the price. Which makes no sense as the price has nothing to do with the amount of work involved.

€2,000 if it includes VAT strikes me as on the high side, but not way off. Outlays a few hundred € extra.

Many try to charge as a % of the price. Which makes no sense as the price has nothing to do with the amount of work involved.
Good to know, thanks! Does the solicitor need to be local (does that have any impact?)

No the solicitor does not need to be local but I think you'd be mad to pick one from online. Don't you have anybody who can recommend a good solicitor to you?

Tell us what part of the country and you might get a few suggestions from here.

Mine was about 2.3 with all the vat and outlays which seems reasonably OK. I have never heard of a solicitor charging a % of the sale price. Are you sure you're not mixing it up with probate sale of a house ? The reason for local would be just for signing of documents which is done in your solicitors office. As this is usually only once you need to weigh up the distance his office is from you.

I recently contacted three solicitors to get a quote for conveyancing. Two asked for the purchase price prior to quoting me. I was quoted €500 more than a friend of mine who used one to buy a cheaper house than mine. I do think some use different rates depending on the value of the house. The last did not ask the value of the house and his quote was 40% cheaper than the other two.

Surely the value of the property has some relevance?

The consequences of a material error in respect of a €2m property are far greater than they would be for a €200k apartment.

Surely the value of the property has some relevance?

The consequences of a material error in respect of a €2m property are far greater than they would be for a €200k apartment.
Shouldn't matter. Would not expect a professional to be any less diligent for the 200k apartment.

Shouldn't matter. Would not expect a professional to be any less diligent for the 200k apartment.

It's nothing to do with being more or less diligent. Surely there's greater risk (in terms of insurance etc) for someone who deals with €2m properties?

Is the work of a solicitor acting for a vendor roughly the same as a solicitor acting for a buyer? If so then is it reasonable to assume that the fee would be similar?

It's nothing to do with being more or less diligent. Surely there's greater risk (in terms of insurance etc) for someone who deals with €2m properties?
Maybe there is (and maybe there isn't), but they don't take out separate insurance for each piece of work. I could understand if a solicitor dealt exclusively with multi-million euro properties that would exceed the coverage that a standard insurance policy would provide. Perhaps then they would extra costs.

Back