Executor Expenses

Mijne

Hello

I was the executor of my late mother’s estate. It was a lot of work but I was happy to do it.

The central heating in my mother’s house broke and I had to pay to get it fixed. Then there was an issue with the alarm system and I had to have it replaced. I paid for these from my own money. It was before the grant of probate? Can I claim these back as expenses?

Mijne

Certainly the alarm system expenses are recoverable as the executor has a duty to protect the assets of the estate.

The repairs to the CH system could be a bit more problematical - was someone living in the house? why was it necessary to fix the system? was there a leak?

jpd

Thanks for getting back so promptly and explaining about the alarm. I am living in the house and the pump in the Central Heating broke over Christmas. There was no heat and it needed to be replaced ASAP.

Mijne

You are entitled to expenses required to keep value of assets maintained, and so the pump is fine.

Deekie

Many thanks for your help. I am living in the house, paying all the bills and maintaining it.

Mijne

as long as the house is still listed as owned by the deceased then keep a record of all money spent on the house.

John Luc

I have been living in the house and paying all utilities. Probate has just been granted so can I claim all utilities I have paid before probate. Thanks.

Mijne

If you're living in the house, then I don't see how you can claim utility bills against the estate. Are you paying rent to the estate?

It might be useful to explain if there are other beneficiaries to the estate - after all, you are benefitting from the estate which is perhaps to the detriment of others?

Bit of a grey area without clarification of a few issues. e.g. Were you living there paying your way before your mother's death? Did you move in after her death to preserve and protect the property?

The estate must pay utilities in full up to date of death, as that is a debt of the deceased.

If the house is occupied by a caretaker or similar then I believe the utilities should be paid by the caretaker.

I don't believe that in an occupied house it is reasonable for the estate to cover the cost of utilities from date of death to date of probate.

if you are living there then you pay the bills but I was caretaking a house for 1 year after the owner deceased and so all bills such as heating,electricity,insurance were covered as expenses to the estate

I don't believe there is a hard & fast rule on this.

But when you consider that some estates could take years to reach Grant of Probate; a non-rent paying caretaker should at least look after their utilities.

Insurance & property tax and repairs to the building are reasonable estate expenses. Replacing a dishwasher is not.

Thirsty

Thanks for clarifying "reasonable estate expenses". I just want to do the right thing. Your help is much appreciated.

Mijne

Back