Executor - best way to sell a portfolio of shares

Gulliver

As an executor for my brothers estate, I need to sell a small portfolio of shares.

Can I just go to a stockbroker with the share certs and one certified copy of probate and he will sell all. (I know that I will have to bring passport + proof of address).

Or do I have to deal with the individual registrars of the shares?
In the case of one share he received shares in lieu of dividends, but some of these certs for small amounts are missing.... how do I deal with that?

As an executor for my brothers estate, I need to sell a small portfolio of shares.

Can I just go to a stockbroker with the share certs and one certified copy of probate and he will sell all. (I know that I will have to bring passport + proof of address).

Or do I have to deal with the individual registrars of the shares?
In the case of one share he received shares in lieu of dividends, but some of these certs for small amounts are missing.... how do I deal with that?

You need to contact the respective registrars & have the Grant noted over the various shares - after this process is finalised these shares will be held in your name as Executor - you can then sell these shares via a Stockbroker.

FYI - we're going through something similar. You should ask the registrar if there are any uncashed dividends and, if so, can they be re-issued ? They form part of the estate as much as the value of the underlying shares.

Back