Executor & beneficiary of will. DIY Probate. Informing solicitors and related issues.

Re: Executor & beneficiary of will. DIY Probate. Informing solicitors and related iss

Possibly!!!! :)

Hi Guys

Recently I inherited house thought about doing a probate application myself. I opted for a solicitor option in the end. The original cost was quite expensive (i thought) it also excluded the land registry fees to put the property in my name from the deceased. I have been quoted an additional 1000 euro on top of 4000 for doing a probate of the will on a property valued at 100,000.

Does this land registry cost competitive or should I shop around for this work. Am I correct to assume this work is separate to the probate. Also in regard to CAT, I awaiting another heavy quote for this.

Any advice appreciated... Cheers

If I could also get in on this, I am the executor of an estate worth €325,000 all bar €5,000 of which is the value of the family home. The whole thing was completely straightforward: a will dividing the estate equally between three adult children.

I have been presented with a bill of €7,500 for professional fees by the solicitor. This does not include expected probate fees etc. I think this is off the radar for such an easy estate and wonder if you guys agree?

dave,if the will is straightforward take your time and do it yourself.Contact probate office, they are very helpful, and they will give you checksheets which will tell you what you need to get.Filling out the CA24 (rev afidavit) is straightforward too.Firstly find the will ,make copies x 3, go to Local land registry office for prperty Folio(5 euro for a stamped copy), present the will at the bank etc and order Financial statements for the date of death of the deceased.Gather all the outstanding bills and tally all(bills/monies) and enter them on the rev.afidavit.Get all tax numbers for all beneficiiaries and find out from them if they have received any gifts etc since 1991(they revenue will want to know this on the affidavit).Any benefit not falling within 80% of the relevant threshold will not need to file with the revenue(IT38)Any monies to beneficiaries (as far as i can make out)less than 20000 need not be entered on CA24.Just a reminder the probate office may require the solicitor who drew up the will to provide a sworn affidafit to confirm that will is legit.(some solicitors drag their heels on this)If you are claiming a revenue exemption(such as dwelling house) this will need to be filed on line- to do this you must register for CAT first and also register on the ROS system(contact your local revenue office is best).Best of luck and remember take your time,gather the info, use the revenue helplines and the probate office and keep copies of everything you file.And remember you can claim for the probate fee charged by probate office.Also dont be thwarted by the banks-if you are the executor you can gather the info and view the accounts- they may release some funds to pay for funeral etc-However you will need the Grant of Probate/Representation to withdraw funds to address outstanding bills / withdraw monies.Again best of luck!Zachaeus

probate

Dave,
Oh i forgot, you will need to get property valued at time of death- this valuation could be anything in thie current climate, so get an Auctioneer who's living in the real world- an overvaluation could cost you and the beneficiaries a lot of money in tax.Also beware i was charged 3 valuation fees for a field that because it was divided in the will.A valuation can be got for 150squids!This can be claimed from the estate also.Best of luck.
Zachaeus

Olaetta,
yeh way off the radar, pay about 1000 and your'e overpaying him/her especially if will is so straightforward.All they do is gather the info which you can do yourself- get a brakedown of bill and go through it with him/her.Is the solicitor the executor,hope not for your sakes.Best of luck.Zachaeus

No difference. Can be done by your nearest solicitor. My district probate office advised me to swear CA24 in their office when swearing the executor's oath as I could do everything under one roof.

Does this mean pg 3 of the CA24 does not have to be witnessed by a solicitor before sending it to revenue? Can it be done at the same time as the interview with the probate office?

many thanks

Back