Executor behaviour.

Sorry but having gone through the process of clearing out and making it presentable for a sale recently, 10k is not unreasonable. Skips don't fill themselves, leaks need sorting, estate agents have to be appointed etc. Perhaps when you go over and start doing it yourself you may realise this.

People are missing the point about the 10K. The executor wants Nicole to sign a document agreeing to make this a 'gift' to her uncle and aunt.

Nicole is being unreasonable about a petty item like a €200 skip.

I don't believe the beneficiaries have any say in how the executor acts. That's the whole point of having executors, to carry out the wishes of the testator. But, the executor must act honestly and will have to account for every penny spent. With receipts.

Advice to Nicole, don't get bogged down in petty stuff like cleaning out a house. Ask permission to do so, if you think you're going to be unreasonable charge, so far a single skip is nothing. If you do go there, you might just be heading for a fight, so that perhaps ought to be avoided. There is no need to take this to war setting.

One other thing, the man's dead partner. Take consideration of that person's needs if you and your siblings can do so, particularly if you are getting a windfall and she needs a kind gesture of a small amount. One must move beyound antagonism for divorces and think about what your estranged father would have wanted.

Nicole can write a letter to the executor's solictors outlining her concerns. Putting things to paper will concentrate everybodies minds.

Thanks for the points Bronte.
We won't be taking care of his partner. She was not specified by him in his will.
She is a complete stranger to us, never interacted/ cared for us once in our lives. So that is a definite no.

People are missing the point about the 10K. The executor wants Nicole to sign a document agreeing to make this a 'gift' to her uncle and aunt.
Yes - I agree totally. I was just pointing out that there may well be a lot of work involved which could make the total bill be this. As Bronte and others have pointed out, rather than go into war mode it may be best to deal with the solicitor and ask for receipts to be kept but allow for a bit of non receipted stuff like having to hang around for a builder/skip and if they have to travel a bit maybe even some petrol.

Just wondering - how many would volunteer or agree to be a beneficiary ?

- how many would volunteer or agree to be an executor ?

I suspect you mistyped the first question.

As for being an executor; you would normally be asked first and you are of course free to decline. You can also decline to act after the person has passed away and someone else is then appointed in your place.

I know if I was the executor in the case referenced here, and having seen some of the follow up posts from the OP, I would pull out sharpish and leave them to it.

Sorry but having gone through the process of clearing out and making it presentable for a sale recently, 10k is not unreasonable. Skips don't fill themselves, leaks need sorting, estate agents have to be appointed etc. Perhaps when you go over and start doing it yourself you may realise this.
It is more the fact that I requested receipts and he brushed me off. This money is very important to us. My mother has suggest
I suspect you mistyped the first question.

As for being an executor; you would normally be asked first and you are of course free to decline. You can also decline to act after the person has passed away and someone else is then appointed in your place.

I know if I was the executor in the case referenced here, and having seen some of the follow up posts from the OP, I would pull out sharpish and leave them to it.
I'm sure if you were a beneficiary youd be handing over ten thousand, no questions asked.
If I was administering someones estate I wouldn't dream of asking for ten thousand

I'm sure if you were a beneficiary youd be handing over ten thousand
Quite how you come to that conclusion is a mystery to me. I believe I made it clear that you should not give any such undertaking.

In charity I'll make allowances for that fact that you are recently bereaved and possibly of younger years and will leave it at that.

The executor of my father's estate spent about €2k and never provided receipts when asked. This was mainly spent on getting a few Polish lads to clean out the house. A gardener who seemed to cut the grass every second day. Window cleaner. Heavy duty garden clearing by the same Polish lads above. Apparently none of the above were asked or were able to provide receipts or so we were told.

Thanks for the points Bronte.
We won't be taking care of his partner. She was not specified by him in his will.
She is a complete stranger to us, never interacted/ cared for us once in our lives. So that is a definite no.

I get that. My point wasn't about you. It was about your father. And her. If she was with him a long time she must be hurting. And it may have been an ommission of his not to have altered his will to consider her. It happens all the time.

The executor of my father's estate spent about €2k and never provided receipts when asked. This was mainly spent on getting a few Polish lads to clean out the house. A gardener who seemed to cut the grass every second day. Window cleaner. Heavy duty garden clearing by the same Polish lads above. Apparently none of the above were asked or were able to provide receipts or so we were told.

And?

Honestly managing and keeping a property maintained to get it to a good saleable price costs money. I consider you are being petty, if you don't mind my saying so. Did the poles do a great job and did the executor have the property looking good for sale.

I get that. My point wasn't about you. It was about your father. And her. If she was with him a long time she must be hurting. And it may have been an ommission of his not to have altered his will to consider her. It happens all the time.
Thanks Bronte. How people treat me is how I treat them. I tried to build a relationship with them and she didn't want to know us. So it seems a bit much to ask for money now. If she had shown any care for us I would show it for her. I care more about my brother getting what he deserves

And?

Honestly managing and keeping a property maintained to get it to a good saleable price costs money. I consider you are being petty, if you don't mind my saying so. Did the poles do a great job and did the executor have the property looking good for sale.
Bronte with all due respect you're an executor and you're seeing it from that side.
I am trying to see it from both sides. Its not fair your side having to shell out, but on the other side it can feel like we are left in the dark without receipts. You said you kept all your receipts though so you're doing it well.

Can't speak for the UK but Ireland is full of houses and premises that fell into dereliction after their owners died. A man quite near me dropped dead at a young age 13 or 14 years ago and nobody has ever opened the door of his place since. The roof has since fallen in and everything has been destroyed. There are a few other places on the same street in not much better condition.

If you have an executor who is actually willing to act to protect your property, count yourself extremely lucky. And do look after them.

Bronte with all due respect you're an executor and you're seeing it from that side.
I am trying to see it from both sides. Its not fair your side having to shell out, but on the other side it can feel like we are left in the dark without receipts. You said you kept all your receipts though so you're doing it well.

I'm also a beneficiary. And I want to make as much as I can from the estate as I can. I have no interest in diddlying anyone. If, not you, another poster about a measly 2K thinks executors are creaming it they are delusional. I think it cost 1K in skips so far, and a sibling went in, with all our consent, to live there for a while, and I might need another skip. I can't wait for the whole thing to be ended. Currently stuck in a legal quagmire.

I can't wait for the whole thing to be ended. Currently stuck in a legal quagmire.
Yep - I can empathize. This is why I stated that while it's cheeky to ask for 10k, no money in the world would make me go through it again. We are trying to give you an insight into the executors side Nicole while at the same time respecting your side of it.

Yes, and I do really welcome all the advice. Its been really helpful.
I realise I have my mother in my ear who hates my uncle.
And I don't think the 10k request actually came from my uncle. He is very influenced by his wife. Who does not like my mother. I can just see her saying to him, ask for this!
So I am trying to get a balanced view and sort this for the best.
I just want the less stress as possible, I know if I go over with my mother, she will fight for me, but go over all guns blazing, and maybe cause it to be more difficult.
I think I will say to him to keep an executor account, to list everything he spends, and receipts and this will be paid to him at the end.
Its hard to know what to do for the best in these situations. Thanks for the advice.

I have done the executor role. There can be an awful amount of work and sress involved especially when interfering beneficiaries are involved. In many cases I had to pay upfront for services involving the insurance and maintenance of the property. I was not a beneficiary. However I contacted each of the four beneficiaries and explained exactly what was required of me, costs and time involved. It was they suggested that I get a payment for my time and that I would via the solicitor provide full detailed accounts plus receipts for all costs incurred. If they had not suggested a payment I would certainly have requested one. After all it was my work which would result in them, without any effort, getting a good injection of funds.

And?

Honestly managing and keeping a property maintained to get it to a good saleable price costs money. I consider you are being petty, if you don't mind my saying so. Did the poles do a great job and did the executor have the property looking good for sale

No it wasn't looking good. I don't think that I ever met a person more lazy than the executor. All my father's clothes were thrown in a black bin despite the fact that 5 minutes away from the house was a charity clothes collection point. I collected what I could and gave the items to a charity shop. Some were brand new items.

Back