Executor allowing my sister to have certain assests for "sentimental reasons"

The phrase "Its what she would have wanted" is the phrase that causes most problems in these situations.
We know exactly what she wanted. She stated it in her will.
This is just another example of one family member taking advantage of another. If the family had respect for each other they would sit down and sort out this amicably in accordance with the terms of the will.

Incidentally, would the executor not have completed a CA24 Inland Revenue Affidavit as part of the probate application ? If so, should there not be a schedule of assets and associated values already compiled ?
In our case, the executor decided that many of the items had "nil" value. He told us that he rang up Herman White in Rathmines who do furniture auctions and described the items over the phone to the auctioneer. That was the extent of the work that he put in to the valuation of furniture etc. Nobody even knows if he actually made the phone call. In the end he gave the "nil" value items to his own daughter. Despite the fact that these items are sold for decent sums on Adverts and DoneDeal.

The question is whether it's worth causing a major rift over this. I'd certainly be less than impressed over behaviour like this. I'm not sure whether it would be enough to have him removed as executor, but I suspect not. It's certainly a very obvious conflict of interests, and shows that he is not acting on behalf of all the beneficiaries.

You need to nip this in the bud. Everything has a value, and this value has to be split 4 ways.

Anything that has an agreed Nill value by the 4 of you, is either to be given to a charity or discarded.

The elder brother is already showing complete disregard for his position and your mothers wishes, and he need to be aware you will not be made a mug of.

And finally, I don't see a happy ending with your siblings no matter what actions you are to take, as they already have shown a complete disrespect for you and your mothers wish.

Take them on, and good luck.

Ls

At the end of the day you can have the executor removed if he has not performed his duties to that stated in the will. If the will states equal share, the executor must obey. As someone pointed out probably the only fair way is to sell the assets and divide the proceeds.
Its fairly common practice for items like artwork and furniture to be sent to auction in order to execute a will

Back