Excellent Gesture for Safety of Cyclists from a Motorist

Leper

Yesterday being the last day of glorious sunshine before last night's rain and thunder and lightening we headed beyond Dungarvan on the coast road towards Waterford. The road is good with some beautiful scenery and its proximity to the Dungarvan/Waterford Greenway suggested there would be cyclists and walkers around (something motorists should assume at all times).

On a narrow stretch of road between Bonmahon and Annestown the motorist 50 metres in front of us flashed his hazard lights briefly and then indicated right (to overtake the cyclist giving plenty of distance between them). In the situation I thought these were excellent gestures to me and warned of potential danger ahead. In this case a lone cyclist cycling on a narrow stretch of road. I learned a valuable lesson from the gestures of the motorist and I must commend the motorist involved. For the record I think it was a "D" registration.

This is a good news story about drivers for a change. Well done to that driver.

This is a good news story about drivers for a change. Well done to that driver.
I find motorists behaviour towards cyclists vastly better than it was 20 years ago.
Dublin is a much more cycle friendly city with much more cyclist friendly motorists. If only the behaviour of my fellow cyclists had improved by the same amount.

Yes, drivers are better than they used to be but all the same it is good to praise the good ones as opposed to always going on about the other type ....
which there are many...

I find motorists behaviour towards cyclists vastly better than it was 20 years ago.
Dublin is a much more cycle friendly city with much more cyclist friendly motorists. If only the behaviour of my fellow cyclists had improved by the same amount.

More cyclists and more awareness leads to better behaviour and more courtesy.

I bought a Garda auction bike in 2004 when I lived in D6. I hadn’t cycled since I was a teenager, and that was in a rural setting. The 80ies, like.
Cycling in Dublin was a doddle. So easy.

People I grew up with thought I was very brave/mad to cycle in the capital. That it was a dangerous place to cycle. For the most part the opposite was the case.

A few years later when I moved to D16 I had a few collisions with cars. I put it down to lighter traffic leading to more carefree driving in the ‘burbs relative to ‘tween the canals.

I find it a tad bizarre that the “safe distance” in a 50kph zone is only 1 metre whereas the “social distance” is 2 metres.

It’s perfectly acceptable for a motorist driving at 50kph to pass a cyclist allowing a distance of only 1 metre whereas a pedestrian passing another pedestrian is expected to give 2 metres. Hopefully The Green Party will address this.

I find it a tad bizarre that the “safe distance” in a 50kph zone is only 1 metre whereas the “social distance” is 2 metres.

That is brilliant.

As a cyclist I have had to take evasive actions a few times, when pedestrians stepped out into the road suddenly to keep 2m away from another pedestrian.

Brendan

Back