Examples of the "Grocery Shrink Ray"? Producers reducing pack size, price the same!

Mrs Romulan reports that Tropicana juice has shrunk from 1lt to 850ml.

Presumably shoppers demanded it....................

Mrs Romulan advises not but she would have to double check to be absolutely sure.
They used to be around 3.09 but if you bought 2, you got them for around 4.90 (Tescos)

She notes that there was no notice or warning anywhere on the shelves.

A good way to check on this is to always look at the price per kilo/litre etc. Most supermarkets show it in very small print on the price display for each product.

This is usually helpful,except for recently where my local Super Valu had Gillette blades priced per kilo!

I bought Punch black shoe polish the other day.

Gone is the military-like metal container of nostalgic times, replaced by a limp plastic container with a sweet smelling water-based polish, and it is made in Turkey, very Turkish delight almost in fragrance.

The old tin is 50ml, the new plastic one is 40ml. That's 20% down. Because the new one is plastic you would think that the lightness is due to the material, so they reduced the content. I wouldn't have noticed had I not compared the old tin at home.

The smell of the old shoe polish is distinctive and was a feature of ritually polishing my shoes/boots as a child/adult for school, football, church, work etc.

I will keep the old tin, it will look good on a pub wall no doubt in 50 years time.

I would prefer (1) price increase, (2) reduction in size to (3) change in the formula with substitution of cheaper ingredients \ materials.

I think I have more tolerance for (1) and (2) than (3).

I would prefer (1) price increase, (2) reduction in size to (3) change in the formula with substitution of cheaper ingredients \ materials.

I think I have more tolerance for (1) and (2) than (3).
That reminds me of that old ad for Alpen.

Back