ex partner refusing to pay share of mortgage

HIDI

Registered User
Messages
31
Joint mortgage with ex partner, house currently on market passed year with only one viewing, I am no longer living in property and paying the full mortgage,while he living in house and not paying a penny. Just looking for anyones thoughts and advice on this where do I stand, I have rang mortgage company to see can I take mortgage over on my own and it was refused. At my wits end with it all. I have offered him some money to leave and take his name off deeds, the house is currently valued at the outstanding loan so no profit is to be made if it sells which I dont think it will sell.
 

alaskaonline

Frequent Poster
Messages
489
is your ex partner a ex husband or is it an unmarried situation here?

if 1st one applies: is there not a separation agreement or similar in place to specify who pays what and how much?

if 2nd applies: get a solicitor.
 

HIDI

Registered User
Messages
31
thanks for reply we not married and not seperation agreement in place.
 

CashAdv

Registered User
Messages
38
Do you own a second property? Why did you move out (personal reasons?).
Is your ex-partner in a position to pay the full mortgage? If not maybe come to some arrangement 50/50, etc? Are there any kids involved?

Also I think you will need to re-mortgage, not just "remove his name from the paperwork".
Are you on a tracker?
 

HIDI

Registered User
Messages
31
ex partner not in a position to pay full mortgage or even half, he refusing to leave the property, i am paying full mortgage dont want bad credit rating. I had to move out for personal reasons and am now paying rent aswell. no second property involved and have one child he is not the father.
 

tyson

Registered User
Messages
10
Oh God, that sounds so familiar

My friend has been in the exact same situation for nearly 3 years now. Ex partner wont pay mortgage, refuses to leave the house, pays drips and drabs also in relation to child maintenance and my friend had to move out (due to conflict between her partner and herself) and is renting a house also. The site waas also given to her from family and this has had a huge impact on family although they are helping her pay the mortgage - like you she does not want bad credit rating and wants her home back as she has two children.

I will advise you that she contacted a solicitor and has went all above board but 3 years on and it still hasn't been heard at the courts due to so many frustrating and unnecessary delays that are out of her hands. Ex partner has cunningly delayed things alos. The courts also only listen to these cases I think 4 times in the year. I still can't believe how long it is taking to be actually heard at the court.

If she was to do it again - SHE WOULD NEVER HAVE MOVED OUT and would have sought all friends to move in and get a barring order on him but that is her case.

Just to let you that through the courts can take a painstakingly long long time.

Think about putting an offer in writing through solicitor for him to transfer ownerships and move out.

Tell him this is the last offer and that yoou cannot pay mortgage and rent and that if he refuses (in writing) then you will have to default on mortgage which means he will also go into bad credit rating. Make sure all is in writing. It shouldn't cost too much for solicitor to write out.

Not sure if any of above helped but good luck.
 

HIDI

Registered User
Messages
31
thank you, sorry to hear about your friend, i am hoping to go to see a solictor tomorrow, and get some advise, avoided it as didnt want the expense as well as everything else, if bank refuses to let me take mortgage over in my sole name, it it possible to just give the keys back to the bank, would this affect my credit rating aswell. If it wasnt for my child i would move back into property tomorrow, I just dont want my child living it that horrible athmosphere.As no profit on the house the amount outstanding on the loan is the value of the house do I have to offer ex some money.
 
Top