Ex partner left the country and left me with a mortgag shortfall

Gavso77

My ex fiance and I bought the property in 2009,soon fell into arrears due to losing my job.She left the country to go home to near Scandanavia in 2011 when the arrears were about 50,000 euro with the bank.I surrendered the house to the bank in 2014 and it was sold with existing arrears of near 100,000 euro.Now the bank wants the remainder of the debt.
I earn an average wage,cannot afford to pay the money(500 a month) for nothing as the house is gone so it's good money after bad!
I have the option of insolvency or bankrupcy maybe but don't know what's the best way forward?
Just wondering has anybody gone through my scenario also and what advice could you give?
Much appreciated.

Have you spoken to an Insolvency Practitioner?

If you go to Abhaile, they will give you a voucher that entitles you to a consultation.

I would imagine that they will propose a Debt Settlement Arrangement which will wipe out your personal liability.

Of course, your ex will remain responsible for the debt unless she does something similar.

Don't delay. Do it as soon as possible and get it over with.

The sooner you start the sooner your credit record will begin to mend.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan for the advice, I am in the process of talking to a PIP and contacted Abhaile but they never rang me back!
I don't know where my ex is living now, only that she is from Finland and has dropped all correspondance with me for nearly 9 years now.
I am therefore liable for the whole loan, but BOI won't talk to me either,I have asked for a case worker countless times but to no avail.

I went to 4 solicitors so far, they just charged me the visit and i never heard from them again.

Thanks again

Back