Ex car insurer wont issue updated no claims

nixmix

Hi all,

Had a crash a few years ago. Not my fault as the other party crashed into me after having a heart attack. The other partys insurance company fought against paying out, but finally we have settled in my favour.

In the meantime I had claimed from my old insurer for the cost of replacing my vehicle.

Now that the matter is resolved in my favour I have gone back to my old insurer and requested they issue an updated no claims. Which they are refusing to do, reason being is down to them having paid out the cost of replacing my vehicle and other legal costs. Until they recoup those costs (which I think unlikely) they will not update my no claims bonus.

So I'm still being overcharged for my insurance and cannot claim back the extra cost I've paid to my new insurer over the years!

Is this normal practice? I find it highly unusual that I cannot get my no claims updated now that the matter is resolved and in my favour.

Many thanks,
N

It would be normal practice. Your insurer won't amend it and reinstate until they recoup their loss, why would they? They paid out X amount and until they get it back your record will state the same.

Settled in your favour - as part of your claim against deceased, did you include the car damage? If so and if you were paid that money, then you MUST reimburse your insurer for what they paid out. If you do that, they should reinstate your NCB. You cannot claim it and pocket it!!

It is not unusual at all, You have had a claim, you lost your no claims bonus, all normal, I think it's great that you can get your bonus reinstated once you repay the full amount of the claim they paid out on your behalf.

Back