EVOO and burnt pan/pot

Eithneangela

I ran out of veggie oil and fried par-boiled potatoes in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). THey cooked nicely but the bottom of the pan is totally burnt. Any hints as to how to get rid of the burn marks? :(

Try bread soda - that's my remedy for a lot of things! Put a couple of teaspoons of bread soda in the saucepan and add a little drop of water and then scrub with pot scrubber/brush, it should remove the marks.
Another solution might be to add biological washing powder to some water (enough to cover the mark)leave it overnight, that would probably do the trick as well.

Best trick for burnt pot?? Courtesy of Kim & Aggie - Coke!! I've tried and its works. Put coca cola into the pot (a few inches) and bring to the boil for a few mins. If it doesn't work first time rinse and repeat. Its something to do with the acidity of the coke as far as I can remember but either way it works. It may turn you off drinking coke though if it can do that to a burnt pot!

If you don't mind chemicals, Mr Muscle spray-on oven cleaner is also fantastic for badly burnt on food (as long as the pot doesn't have a special surface, just plain metal). It's the aersosol can of oven cleaner you want, not the squeezy plastic bottles of other Mr Muscle products.

You spray it on as foam, and after a few hrs the burnt material is liquefied and pretty much just wipes off.

But do it outdoors if possible; it's not something I'd want to be inhaling.

Back