Evicting a HAP Tenant

tenant is robbing houses or shops to sell items to buy food for kids, does that lessen the illegality of what they do
Indeed not.

So would you take it upon yourself to arrest the shop lifter in your local corner shop, put handcuffs on them, declare them guilty and march them off to the 'joy?

Of course you wouldn't; you would follow the correct process.

The same applies for an overholding tenant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it (in your mind,pebble) that the tenant automatically stops paying the rent when the notice period ends?

I'm giving it as a scenario. If I want a property back, serve notice and the tenant refuses to leave but keeps paying rent, I'm not going to change my mind and say era stay in the house altogether and whenever you decide to leave, I'd really appreciate it.

No, you would continue to try and evict them and start action to do so. I would expect a deterioration in relations as a result and no rent to be paid. That's how I would see the scenario all playing out.

Indeed not.

So would you take it upon yourself to arrest the shop lifter in your local corner shop, put handcuffs on them, declare them guilty and march them off to the 'joy?

Of course you wouldn't; you would follow the correct process.

The same applies for an overholding tenant.
Actually this would be completely legal, at least if you marched them down to the local Garda station rather than Mountjoy.

Section 4(1) of The Criminal Law Act 1997, refers

I'm giving it as a scenario. If I want a property back, serve notice and the tenant refuses to leave but keeps paying rent, I'm not going to change my mind and say era stay in the house altogether and whenever you decide to leave, I'd really appreciate it.

No, you would continue to try and evict them and start action to do so. I would expect a deterioration in relations as a result and no rent to be paid. That's how I would see the scenario all playing out.

That's a worse case scenario it mostly likely won't happen. Since statistically most leave.

An illegal eviction is likely to result in a large fine and possibly having to put the tenants back in. How likely either is unknown. How much of fine is also unknown. It might cost you more than you were hoping to save.

Perhaps and I could be wrong, the RTB is guarded with such stats for this reason.

A non paying tenant and a tenant who refuses to leave a property. I know many many landlords and most if not all have encountered either or both.

And? Can't make omelettes without breaking an egg now and then. Statistically most tenancies do not end badly.

And? Can't make omelettes without breaking an egg now and then. Statistically most tenancies do not end badly.
What if the broken egg takes over the egg box and you can't access the eggs for 3 years?
Meanwhile you still get a monthly bill from your egg supplier that you have to pay and various costs of running your omelette restaurant, with no income from selling any omelettes.

Government legislates against you removing the bad egg without going through a 3 year process.......

What if the broken egg takes over the egg box and you can't access the eggs for 3 years?
Meanwhile you still get a monthly bill from your egg supplier that you have to pay and various costs of running your omelette restaurant, with no income from selling any omelettes.

Government legislates against you removing the bad egg without going through a 3 year process.......
Classic eggs-ample of an analogy having run its course...

There risks in every business.

This is why you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket.

Back