Event management courses

Bob the slob

Has anyone done any of these courses? Was thinking of moving into that field but a lot of people say there is no work in it.

Anyone any views on the subject.

Newstalk's "Taste" (or "Culture Shock" as I think it's called now) show with Fionn Davenport had a piece on event management last Saturday in case that's of any use and you can download a podcast from their website?

My daughter is a punk rock chick doing her LC next year, is music mad and wants to do music and/or event management. She was blinkered and wanted to do sound engineering, as she thought that this is the only way into the music industry. I got some sound :) advice and she is now also considering an Arts Management Degree at Dun Laoghaire. Check out this course. It looks like it would qualify you for events management and give you a great qualification if you want to diversify or travel. These courses weren't around when I left hedge school... rocking to Philo Lynott.

[broken link removed]

I work in event management (despite the user name) and have an absolutely irrelevant qualification. I would advise anyone to get a qualification that opens doors in other ways and keep an eye on event management jobs.

I fell into what I'm doing by accident and ended up on a decent wage, by complete fluke. Last time I looked at moving to similar jobs I was facing a major pay cut.

Event management is not rocket science, you need patience, an eye for detail and good people skills. An event qualification guarantees none of these.

My daughter is a punk rock chick doing her LC next year, is music mad and wants to do music and/or event management. She was blinkered and wanted to do sound engineering, as she thought that this is the only way into the music industry. I got some sound :) advice and she is now also considering an Arts Management Degree at Dun Laoghaire. Check out this course. It looks like it would qualify you for events management and give you a great qualification if you want to diversify or travel. These courses weren't around when I left hedge school... rocking to Philo Lynott.

[broken link removed]

Slightly off track - I would also recommend that your daughter have a look at the 'Music, Management and Sound Engineering' course at Stiofan Naofa, Tramore Road, Cork...

I would like to second the post by shesells. I used to be a professional stage manager in live theatre. I got those skills in the dim and distant days when you had to have an Equity card to "event manage" because it was a closed shop.

This was a very good if unpopular way of finding the people who could actually do the job - you had to be good enough and willing enough for a theatre to offer you one of their valuable "cards" before you could actually get a "proper" job. As shesells says, people skills, planning and detail. Not something that FETAC tends to be too good at testing, or that many people have at the "just out of college" stage, though I am sure they are on the syallabi. I have found what I learned the hard way in stage management has kept me employed in a number of other fields over the years.

Don't expect to make much money at it unless you are very good or very lucky. I gave it up after five years because I got sick of living out of a suitcase and never having any money.

All the best

Imogen

Has anyone done any of these courses? Was thinking of moving into that field but a lot of people say there is no work in it.

Anyone any views on the subject.

I did a full-time course in arts administration that covered event management. The course itself - NCVA accredited - was a major disappointment in that it felt extremely lightweight; I came out of it none the wiser regarding far too many aspects of arts admin; and much of the work we had to hand up felt like the level you'd expect of fifth or sixth class in primary school.

Also, my experience (almost ten years ago) was that advertised employment within event management in general tends to be a bit two-tier: you either had to have a lot of experience managing large-scale events, or else, for reasons relating to the funding problems that a lot of arts organisations experience, you had to qualify for community employment. From that, I've tended to think that the best way to become involved in event management (whether subsidised or more commercial), would be to volunteer and a) see if it's for you and b) learn on the job/prove your capabilities.

What I've done workwise since - in unrelated fields - is actually something that I feel would better equip people for event management than any course. In other words, I think that real-life admin experience, PR experience, accounts experience and/or management experience would be far more useful (and transferable, skills-wise) than doing courses specifically targetted at event management.

Back