Evacuation notice required by HAP Inspector - Qutoed €300

Violet

Hi all,
I’m required (by HAP inspector) to place an evacuation notice on the back of the door leading to the outside of the apt. This apt is first floor, not high rise.
I’m being given quotes of almost €300 to survey the property and draw up the notice.
Anyone know of a cheaper alternative? Dublin 20 area. Thanks!

The developers should have put adequate notices in place prior to occupation in order to comply with the fire regs. Any such notices on other floors? There's no great secret to such notices, it should be possible to create one yourself. The management company should have all the documentation you require relating to floor plans and evacuation routes and points.

Just go into a hotel/public premises, use your phone camera to take a picture of the evactuation notice and copy that. Or ask another apartment owner what they have.

What kind of 'entity' does up such notices by the way?

I just got the managing agent to email me a copy of the evacuation plan, printed it out and stuck it on the door - I did this cause this is what the HAP inspector told me would do the job!

Violet did the HAB guy ask you to do anything else? How intense was the inspection. Was this for an existing tenant or a new one. I'd appreciate knowing the location if it was a city.

The developers should have put adequate notices in place prior to occupation in order to comply with the fire regs. Any such notices on other floors? There's no great secret to such notices, it should be possible to create one yourself. The management company should have all the documentation you require relating to floor plans and evacuation routes and points.
Thanks Leo!!

Some jobsworth from the council making fancy demands
Thanks! Agree......
Violet did the HAB guy ask you to do anything else? How intense was the inspection. Was this for an existing tenant or a new one. I'd appreciate knowing the location if it was a city.
hi, yes I received a list of ‘improvements’. Window restrictors, light bulbs in the bathroom need to be ‘covered’, better ventilation in the bedrooms. This is Dublin City.

better ventilation in the bedrooms.

That piece could be difficult to impossible to achieve in an apartment, as you don't own the fabric of the building, so it's very unlikely you would be permitted to start putting holes in it.

+1 for Leo's comment. In my previous home the landlord obtained this from management company and printed it out to place on door. I laminated it for longevity. It was perfectly adequate.

In relation to ventilation perhaps there is concern around mould and damp? It may be necessary to provide a dehumidifier. Many flats and apartments are not designed well in terms of ventilation and our humidity, and many complexes forbid drying clothes outside for example. It might be wise to protect your property from future damage and request that a dehumidifier is used regularly. It may also be that the existing vents need to be opened or cleaned?

Hope that helps,
G4G

In relation to ventilation perhaps there is concern around mould and damp? It may be necessary to provide a dehumidifier.

The challenge here is that HAP will not consider use of a dehumidifier as adequate in meeting their requirements. Their requirements for ventilation make no allowance for when the property was built, and this can be a significant challenge in older apartment complexes where you will have to convince the management company to provide additional ventilation.

Back