Eurovision 2023

So what do people think should happen , in Ireland,s case.
First of all, stop having the selection process be part of The Late Late. That's clearly gone wrong.

After that it is less clear and probably ultimately comes down to the calibre of the acts putting themselves forward, and changing the selection process to encourage them. We seem to be sending raw talents, or mediocre ones, and\or acts and slash songs unsuited to the big stage.

We need to gets acts with songs that make an impression in a nightclub \ big stage setting, that thrive in that setting.

I admit I don't watch the Eurovision (haven't in many years) but is the whole competition not a celebration of middle of the road pop drivel? Is the issue here not that we weren't dressed as wild boars or drag queens or some such? I personally wouldn't describe it as a music competition or celebration of good songs.
It not often that a costume wins on its own and its also very rarely a group. More often than not a ballad wins with a singer on their own - and we have not sent a ballad for many years.

We were so close to sending something decent this year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfjymaUFBA

First of all, stop having the selection process be part of The Late Late. That's clearly gone wrong.
Agreed. The audience of the Late Late is probably around the same average age as the congregation at 10 Mass on a Sunday.

We need to gets acts with songs that make an impression in a nightclub \ big stage setting, that thrive in that setting.
What we need to do is realise that there's 5 million of us and even if we do send a strong singer/song/band we aren't going to get the votes.

And very few of is care about Eurovision. I haven't watched it since I was a child.

Agreed. The audience of the Late Late is probably around the same average age as the congregation at 10 Mass on a Sunday.

What we need to do is realise that there's 5 million of us and even if we do send a strong singer/song/band we aren't going to get the votes.

And very few of is care about Eurovision. I haven't watched it since I was a child.
This year though it was obviously Wild Youth's fanbase - who would younger than that - that voted for them in the final. But general point is that it has not been a success and I don't think the model it used in presenting the songs and voting worked.

Not totally following your point about population and votes? Each country has the same voting strength regardless of population, the only distinction being that the main countries which fund it qualify for the final automatically (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain).

If you look at the countries which have won it this century I don't see any real link to population size.

This year though it was obviously Wild Youth's fanbase - who would younger than that - that voted for them in the final. But general point is that it has not been a success and I don't think the model it used in presenting the songs and voting worked.

Not totally following your point about population and votes? Each country has the same voting strength regardless of population, the only distinction being that the main countries which fund it qualify for the final automatically (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain).

If you look at the countries which have won it this century I don't see any real link to population size.
Okay, I thought is was based on total phone votes.

Okay, I thought is was based on total phone votes.
The televotes are combined into one pool but you cannot vote for your own country. There might be ways to hack around that if you're bothered but not for the average punter. If you have a diaspora abroad and can vote in a different country, that could influence things.

So yeah in the televote if more Germans or Brits or Italians vote, they will swing the overall outcome more - but not to influence it in their own favour. Arguably being a bigger country counts against you because your own vote numbers are gong away from you.

There's also the credibility issue and most artists who take themselves seriously wouldn't touch it. Talent, ability, or song composition haven't been much of a factor for a very long time.

The televotes are combined into one pool but you cannot vote for your own country. There might be ways to hack around that if you're bothered but not for the average punter. If you have a diaspora abroad and can vote in a different country, that could influence things.
I haven't watched in in years, but are the votes still heavily swayed by migrant populations and geo-political affiliation?

I haven't watched in in years, but are the votes still heavily swayed by migrant populations and geo-political affiliation?
There's an element of that, it's also a musical affinity I think.

And I think in the semi finals especially with a more limited audience it could make a difference between say 8th and qualifying and 12th and not qualifying. So swayed yes, heavily swayed hmm debateable.

So yeah in the televote if more Germans or Brits or Italians vote, they will swing the overall outcome more - but not to influence it in their own favour. Arguably being a bigger country counts against you because your own vote numbers are gong away from you.
Okay, I didn't know that. Mainly because it's up there with the Rose of Tralee and Fair City on the list of things I avoid watching.
Then again I'm probably not in the target demographic.

Okay, I didn't know that. Mainly because it's up there with the Rose of Tralee and Fair City on the list of things I avoid watching.
Then again I'm probably not in the target demographic.
The Eurovision gives lots to ponder over for Stattos like me :)

Betfair amazingly predicted all 10 of last night's qualifiers in the sense that they where the top 10 in the betting. This is the top 10 for tomorrow night's semi final.
View attachment 7482
I suppose Betfair is a proxy for the public vote. And the semi-finals are decided by the public vote not the juries. So it should be pretty accurate. Maybe there is an opportunity to take a few bob off Paddy after all! ;)

I don't think it would make any difference who represents Ireland in the Eurovision. It is not a song competition any more , it's all about performance and the most outrageous act the better. I heard people today saying that countries like Moldova and Norway etc won't vote for us anymore. Perhaps it's because they simply don't like our songs .... How many times have we gave them votes in the past. Ireland have won it seven times so take that as a success and give up wasting money sending artists , past winners , commentators etc.

Nothing left to prove, it's a farcical pantomime anyway and RTE (taxpayer) cannot afford this rinse and repeat nonsence.

Time to call it a day.

I don't think it would make any difference who represents Ireland in the Eurovision. It is not a song competition any more , it's all about performance and the most outrageous act the better. I heard people today saying that countries like Moldova and Norway etc won't vote for us anymore. Perhaps it's because they simply don't like our songs .... How many times have we gave them votes in the past. Ireland have won it seven times so take that as a success and give up wasting money sending artists , past winners , commentators etc.
From the last 10 years, how many winners were "outrageous"

Most were standalone singers and many were ballads.

I think the last "outrageous" act was Lordi and their entry was good enough for me to have a bet and win .

Serious question: has anyone heard stories of back in the day (1980s) when the result of the Eurovision was supposedly known in advance of the Saturday night final?! The story goes that, at this time, there was just the jury vote (i.e. no public tele-vote, etc.) and that the organisers did not wish to run the risk of a communication failure when saying "bonsoir Paris, good evening Paris". So, they did a dry run on the eve of the contest so that they would have each country's vote - as a back-up - on the off chance of a connection failure on the night itself. Obviously, this dry run was "top secret" but not water, water tight and word got out!! Ring any bells with anyone?

Last edited:
Serious question: has anyone heard stories of back in the day (1980s) when the result of the Eurovision was supposedly known in advance of the Saturday night final?! The story goes that, at this time, there was just the jury vote (i.e. no public tele-vote, etc.) and that the organisers did not wish to run the risk of a communication failure when saying "bonsoir Paris, good evening Paris". So, they did a dry run on the eve of the contest so that they would have each country's vote - as a back-up - on the off chance of a connection failure on the night itself. Obviously, this dry run was top secret but not water, water tight and word got out!! Ring any bells with anyone?
The Jury views the primary dress rehearsal and vote on that. Votes are then submitted to the EBU. The "announcement" by different countries is just part of the entertainment. So, yes, some people know the votes in advance. Its not top secret as they detail this on their page https://eurovision.tv/about/how-it-works

Back