European REITs

daswerr

I found little to no information on Irish residents investing in REITs from other EU countries (e.g. German's Vovonia and Aroundtown). It seems easy enough to invest in them via Degiro for example.

Is the tax treatment of European REITs different to the Irish ones (e.g. Green, Hibernia, Ires)?

Any particular reason why the Irish based REITs seem to be a more popular choice among Irish residents, despite them being a lot smaller and less diversified than the German ones?

Context: I'm interested in passive income and diversification into the property market. Becoming a landlord is not something I'd consider.

Any particular reason why the Irish based REITs seem to be a more popular choice among Irish residents, despite them being a lot smaller and less diversified than the German ones?

At a guess, comfort with the perceived familiarity of the Irish market. If the foreign REITs pay out regular dividends like the Irish ones then those dividends would be subject to regular taxation.

Last edited:
At a guess, comfort with the perceived familiarity of the Irish market. If the foreign REITs pay out regulat dividends like the Irish ones then those dividends would be subject to regular taxation.
What do you mean by "regular taxation"?
Aren't Irish REIT dividends the same as any other dividend and assessable for income tax?

I found little to no information on Irish residents investing in REITs from other EU countries (e.g. German's Vovonia and Aroundtown). It seems easy enough to invest in them via Degiro for example.

Is the tax treatment of European REITs different to the Irish ones (e.g. Green, Hibernia, Ires)?

Context: I'm interested in passive income and diversification into the property market. Becoming a landlord is not something I'd consider.
You do have to reclaim foreign dividend withholding tax for some, certainly German ones.

What do you mean by "regular taxation"?
Aren't Irish REIT dividends the same as any other dividend and assessable for income tax?
If I receive REIT dividends regularly, say 4/year then I am subject to income tax on those dividends annually (read regularly).
If on the other hand I choose an investment that does not pay regular or indeed any dividends then I would not be subject to regular (you could change regular for frequent) taxation. I would be subject to taxation on any profits realised.

Hope that makes sense.

If I receive REIT dividends regularly, say 4/year then I am subject to income tax on those dividends annually (read regularly).
If on the other hand I choose an investment that does not pay regular or indeed any dividends then I would not be subject to regular (you could change regular for frequent) taxation. I would be subject to taxation on any profits realised.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks. I thought you meant "regular" as "normal" not "periodic". :)

Back