european berkshire hathaway style stocks

joe sod

Anyone any ideas on european conglomerates that are similar to berkshire hathaway, berkshire is very US centric with a spattering of international stocks. Im looking for a stock similar to berkshire that buys other stocks and companies but focussed on Europe and rest of world. From googling I dont get much really, Grupo Acciona and Ferrovial S.A, are touted as being a bit like Berkshire. Due to the recent changes in Etrade I am now unable to purchase US domiciled ETFs and I have even been taken off the dividend reinvestment program due to my EU address, a brave new world alright. I have now much less choice of stocks to buy than I had 2 decades ago !!

Prosus - at its core a Tencent holding company where you buy a position in Tencent at a discount to where Tencent trades today……but it holds a smattering of global e-commerce / digital business too………think of it like a publicly traded VC company that got very very lucky with Tencent such that Tencent position became 120% of NAV…..it is now using some of the Tencent cash to make other bets……longer term I expect Tencent shares to be spun out and legacy Prosus will retain a bunch of its other ecommerce bets some of which are great and some of which remain to be seen. Tencent itself is almost like an Asian Berkshire with a VC bent - with huge array of Asian investments

Pershing Square - Bill Ackman’s Hedge Fund trades on Euronext I believe…check tax treatment for Ifish investor…….discount to his holdings (Howard Hughes, Starbucks, Chipotle) that has persisted and maybe always will……..he’s buying a big stake in UMG which I think is a long term compounder the problem is everyone knows it and so will pay stupid money…..I think Bill is getting it at an OK price.

Exor - Agneilli family (Fiat/Juventus)………diversifying the Agneilli families wealth into non-industrials over time……..smart capital allocator at the helm…….transformational value creating deals like spinning Ferrari out of FIAT…merging Fiat into Chrysler/Jeep….pushing Fiat into PSA etc. Holds insurance companies (PartnerRe), sports (juventus) , industrials (CNH)…..CNH will create value

I had a quick look, and one thing to note is that unlike BRK those ones letitroll mentioned all seem to pay dividends, which is generally sub-optimal for the Irish investor, pity.

You could check out Groupe Bruxelles Lambert on the Belgian stock exchange. (This is for information, it is not a recommendation to invest in GBL.)

Back