Euro long term investment

IBenny

I have €120.000 to invest for 5 years or more. I don't have any loans that I have to repay and am not waiting on the money.I would like to know what would be a low to medium risk investment with as high an interest rate ad possible. I was with Irish state savings in the post post office for the last 5 years and got 3.5% but they are only paying 0.5% now.

5-Year State Savings Certificates will give you a, tax-free, return of 5% on maturity.

You won't do better than that in the current environment without taking on additional investment risk.

I have €120.000 to invest for 5 years or more
Is this separate from the €50k mentioned here?
Is it the same €120k as mentioned here?

Euro long term investment​

I have €120.000 to invest for 5 years or more.
5 years is arguably not "long term".
More like "medium term".
If this is the same €120k as here 5 years ago
then you are almost certainly losing out on better returns by putting it in a low to medium risk investment for chunks of 5 years instead of taking a longer term view and investing in, say, equities as I mentioned here:
To be honest, you might be better off posting a Money Makeover thread so that people can offer useful advice based on a better understanding of your overall finacial/personal circumstances rather than just focusing on individual pots of money with little or no context.

Last edited:
Agree completely with @ClubMan here. It’s counterproductive to seek advice on “pots” of money in isolation of your overall position. That’s why professional advisers complete a detailed fact find.

However, as noted elsewhere on this forum your best bet for cash which you absolutely cannot invest appropriately long term in a pension or other more suitable investment (classic example might be school fees planning) then Irish government bonds offer a low risk fixed term investment with tax advantages if you buy a bond currently trading at a discount to par.

I updated my analysis on this just recently

Back