EU plug in wall lights - can you use in Ireland?

Ndiddy

Can you use EU plug in lights safely in ireland? Does one replace the plug? Use an adaptor? other suggestions?

What if the light is not plug in and installed by electrician? Does it need to be UK or are they universal?

confusing as finding sites with .IE but seem to be Euro plugs.....

You chop off the old plug and wire a Irish/UK plug (BS 1363) on to the flex. If required change to plugs fuse to the appropriate value, probably 3 Amps.

You do not need an electrician, this is thought as part of the Leaving Cert.

BTW is the site/shop is selling direct into Ireland they are required to supply the correct plug/adapter.

Can you use EU plug in lights safely in ireland? Does one replace the plug? Use an adaptor? other suggestions?
Yes, the EU has standardised electrical supply across the bloc and any electrical device offered for sale in the EU must satisfy safety requirements for use across all member states.

confusing as finding sites with .IE but seem to be Euro plugs.....
Yeah, .ie sites aren't limited to businesses operating from Ireland. worst case scenario you stumble across one based in the UK and get hit with customs duty.

since brexit, I often buy tools from Germany - just cut off the plug and rewire - no problem.

I don't know how easy it is to do, but I was in a hotel in Dublin once that had an array of two UK and one EU wall socket. It meant continental guests didn't have to mess around with adapters.

Might be worth it if rewiring a kitchen if you expect to buy equipment online from Amazon.de a lot.

"EU" plugs (no such plugs, but I assume the German Schuko type is meant) were fairly common here about 50 or 60 years ago before the UK type became prevalent. I was astonished to be told by an ESB man a couple of years ago that the Schuko type are still legal here, although very very rare. WARNING: Universal socket device (such as AJAM's) do not convert voltage for North American items, so unless they are designed for multiple voltages (as most phone chargers are) the 110 volt American item (e.g. hair dryer, fan, lamp) will have a very short but spectacular life if fed with our 230 volts.

Back