EU Employee - Tax Residence

Neggy1

Hi All. Looking for a steer on my circumstances. I am on a secondment to EU Commission in Brussels. I am there one year so far with two more year's to run on my contract. As a European civil servant, my salary is not subject to national income tax. Instead, salaries paid by the Commission to its officials are directly subject to a Community tax which is paid directly back into the EU's budget. Therefore, my EU salary cannot be touched by Revenue.

I travel to Brussels every Monday morning and return Thursday evening so spend 4 nights per week at home in Ireland. Therefore I spend 200+ nights in Ireland in a year. I am married with kids and my husband works here in Ireland. I queried the situation regarding tax credits for my husband and I with Revenue and I was advised that as I work outside of Ireland, I am no longer tax resident in Ireland and therefore I have no tax credits.

The person in Revenue did not ask me how many nights I spent in Ireland and I only gave it some thought after I put phone down.

I would welcome any views on my circumstances re tax credits or otherwise as it might be problematic when it's comes to switching banks or taking out insurance in Ireland. What if I want to buy a car as someone who in not tax resident but lives in Ireland all the same.

My home is very much Ireland and could do without these complications. Many Thanks.

Back