ethics in arranging finances and stuff

elacsaplau

Where do people stand? Specifically, when it's legal to do something but arguably an avoidance of a "fair" social contribution - i.e. there will be times when the "rules" will be unfair and some people will lose out - equally, there will be times when people can circumvent "fair" rules for personal gain/benefit. Purposely, I don't want to be overly specific in the question which is about one's general view on ethical considerations rather than being topic specific. I get it that such detail may feature by way of example in responses.

My starting impression is that ethical considerations of the type described above have relatively low order significance generally for AAMers - is this fair?

...arguably an avoidance of a "fair" social contribution...

Why the emphasis on arguably and the scare quotes on "fair"? You don't sound very convinced yourself. Personally I'm very enthusiastic about people paying their due taxes, and equally adamant not to pay anything I don't have to. I've got my own ideas about contributing socially -- the chance that they will line up with the government's ideas for spending my involuntary tax payments are very low.

It would appear that many feel ethics are something everyone else should live by. Given that the cash jobs / black market is estimated to cost the exchequer over €6bn per annum, it seems many are perfectly happy to resort to illegal means to avoid making this contribution.

Reactions: mtk
You will find lots of examples on hear ,lobby groups come to mind,I suspect people do not really care unless it affects them directly,I think a lot of unrest all over the World can directly be traced to the subject you just posted on ,

In general if it is legal, I wouldn't sweat the ethics... you might find a loophole here or there to your advantage, but no doubt you'll be crucified by some outrageous ripoff tax like the pension levy so play away.

I draw the line at Bono nonsense though, as in keep schtum about it.
And I also draw the line at using influence or whatever to create a tax loophole you plan to exploit.

My daughter once fell in one of those indoor soft-play areas with slides and nets and padding etc and knocked out one of her teeth. The manager kept asking me for the name of my solicitor but when I looked at where she fell I wouldn't see what more the business could have done to reduce the risk. It was just an accident.
It would have been perfectly legal for me to make a claim against them and I would have won but to me it would have been unethical. The manager said that I was the first person not to make a claim for that sort of accident.
Recently another motorist tailended me, doing minimal damage to the car and giving me a slight whiplash which resulted in neck pain for a few months and a few trips to the Chiropractor. I didn't sue him either. I don't think the injury deserved thousands and I didn't want the stress on me or on him as he was a young driver and his premiums would have gone through the roof. The impact on him would have been disproportionate to the injury he caused.

Last edited:
Fair play to you Purple. A friend of mine had a similar situation with a minor whiplash injury from a rear-end collision which she didn't claim for. The thing was, she had to endure a fair bit of peer pressure from other people who thought she was stark raving nuts not to take the other motorist to the cleaners. Another friend who is a company director in the insurance industry says that the level of compensation payouts in Ireland is a significant factor in higher insurance premiums.

Another friend who is a company director in the insurance industry says that the level of compensation payouts in Ireland is a significant factor in higher insurance premiums.
It's crazy that juries are allowed to make compensation awards. €10m award reduced to €250k on appeal:eek:

Back