Estimated cost of buying and installing new electric shower

Meme80

Hi there,
Looking to get my old electric shower replaced.

Cany ou anyone tell me roughly what costs are invovled in this? I can get a good idea of a price of a good electric shower online alright but costing the fititng seems a bit trickier!
Is a plumber and electrician required?

Thanks for your help!

Is a plumber and electrician required?

Both as you may need a NEW breaker at the main box + a Certificate

Also, if an old shower the original grouting may need replacing.

Get a recommended Plumber to do it (and he can supply qualified electrician)

IMHO

Electric shower aprox €250/300, cost of fitting aprox half that again. Depending on the shower being taken out and if you can replace it with the same model. The price above is assuming a replacement model the same as you're taking out. The reason I'm giving you that price is because I got it done before Xmas. I took out a Mira Elite and put in another Mira Elite.

Thanks for your replies.

Never thought that replacing it with the same (newer) model would make any difference!

So all in all to get it up and running about €150 excl price of shower? Does this seem reasonable to most? Based in Galway.

Replacing with a similar shower of no higher rating in terms of kWh will allow you use the existing wiring. If you want a more powerful shower, then you're into the realm of running new cable to the CU which will add a few hundred to the bill.

I’ll probably get lambasted for this but I change the shower myself. I changed it from mains fed to tank fed last time with a shower of the same KW rating.

What sort of central heating do you have? What sort of hot water tank do you have? Electric showers are very expensive to use.

What sort of central heating do you have? What sort of hot water tank do you have? Electric showers are very expensive to use.
Are they though?
A 10 minute shower is approx 25c.
My summer gas bill was about €1.50 a day which provided 4 showers and a bit of washing up.

Back