Estimated cost for partly built garage?

J

jerseyboy

Hi, I would appreciate some advice to help me resolve this problem. I paid a 5k deposit to a local builder to build a small garage at the side of my house. The full cost of the garage was agreed verbally at 27k. I know this is not the ideal way to do business, but the builder is a friend of my brother. At this point, the builder has put in the foundations and the block work is up to about window level. I have now run into a severe and unexpected financial difficulty and will not be able to fund the build cost of the garage at this time. I told the builder of my predicament and he has stopped the building work. I really need to settle my bills with this guy, however he says that the 5k I have paid him so far would not cover the work he has done. He is looking for another 7k as well. In so far as I can, I would like to settle up with this guy. Would the builder be justified in seeking another 7k for the building work so far? I don't want to see him out of pocket however I am not in a position to estimate whether he has done 12k worth of work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Might be worth spending money on a Quantity Surveyor's opinion ?

Thanks Havealaugh. I'll make a few calls to get a surveyor - no harm in getting a professional opinion. Jerseyboy.

Get a QS - shouldn't cost too much. Has floor been finished. I recently built a garage managed it myuself i.e. got in the various trades when needed etc. I found it roughly divided up as (labour & materials):

1/3 - build up to roof level
1/3 - for roof (finished)
1/3 - window, door, plastering paint & basic electrics

I'd guess your 5K isn't far off the mark unless he has purchased other materials e.g lintels, windows,

Back