Estate Agents

Room101

Hi,

I have an EA selling my house, he has a small operation & has been on the ball getting back to me on any questions I had etc. The house is on DAFT & MyHome + sign outside house etc.

I'm under pressure to find a buyer as my original buyer decided to purchase another house just before signing for mine!!

You always feel the grass is greener on the other side!!. I'm thinking of approaching other EA to see if they have any potential buyers for my area on their books & see if they could arrange a viewing & I would discuss with them some form of payment for this?

I don't want another EA to represent the house I just want to see if I can tap into their client list for this area.

As I said I would discuss payment for organising the viewing but do not want them to represent the house.

Is this just crazy talk or could it work???

Again the reason for this suggestion is time pressure, the vendors of the house I'm buying are putting the pressure on me to sign. I have an offer on the house but there is a chain. Ideally I'm looking for a FTB (I don't ask for much!!!)

Thanks in advance for any comments

Room101

You may end up footing the bill for two Estate Agents. Perhaps you should be up front with the first EA, as you seem to find him efficient. It might be possible for HIM to negotiate with another EA on your behalf and they can work out the fee between them. Honestly I can't see any EA allowing you access to his list unless you're a client.

You may end up footing the bill for two Estate Agents. Perhaps you should be up front with the first EA, as you seem to find him efficient. It might be possible for HIM to negotiate with another EA on your behalf and they can work out the fee between them. Honestly I can't see any EA allowing you access to his list unless you're a client.

Hi Liteweight,

I plan on ringing my EA on Monday & having a chat with him about contacting other EA.

The more I think about my original suggestion the more stupid it sounds!!!

Thanks for your reply

Room101

Just remember that the rate that the EA gave you to begin with may be subject that he is the sole selling agent.

If you switch you could be hit with a bill for advertising/signage etc.

Having said that..you appointed him to sell your house & he has not managed to do so..grounds to move if you wish.

The thing to remember though is that your house will still end up on daft & myhome.ie etc. As far as I am concerned, the EA's don't sell houses..it's the web/signage/newspaper adverts that does it as far as I'm concerned...so changing EA's may not make much of a difference.

I'd recommend that you chat with him with a view to running a add in the newspapers next.

Other things to consider..your house needs to sell itself..so make sure it is staged, painted up, clutter free, garden looking well, potted plants around the place etc etc... all helps.

good luck with the sale.

I agree with Ninsaga. Also I doubt any other EA has clients that might want to buy your house and don't know about it. Anyone buying a house these days knows to check myhome and DAFT. Do your own research and find out as much info as you can about what houses have sold for in your area and make sure the price he has your house listed for is realistic. It's probably not a great time to be selling as people say it picks up in September, however all you need is one buyer.

We have just sold our house without an EA because we had it listed with an EA before and though the guy was very nice I honestly knew far more about the houses and amenities in our area than he did. But you don't have time on your side - so I agree that you should talk to the EA and put the onus on him to come up with a plan to help get the viewers in - make him work for his money. I don't think there's any point in you getting other agents involved to be honest. Also look at your house on the web and make sure the pictures are good, don't be afraid to take your own pictures and make the EA download them for you - the ad we placed on DAFT ourselves was 10 times better than the one the EA had for us originally on myhome.ie.

There is nothing wrong with saying ideally you'd like a ftb, why wouldn't you want to lessen the chances of the sale falling through.

OPs are right. There are very few properties out there that people don't know about. Having said that HOK are only a very recent addition to MyHome, so perhaps not all agents are registered and presumably some, still maintain their own list of buyers interested in a particular area.

It used to be that each EA had a list of clients waiting on an area and I think this is what you're banking on. I'm often told by EA that they have buyers waiting to buy on our road. Whether these buyers would materialise if I decided to sell is another matter!

Imd gives some very good advice and has been successful.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The house is in good shape, recently painted inside & out, new kitchen, de-cluthered, grass cut every 2nd day etc. Originally I had a buyer within 2 days of it appearing on MyHomes, then they changed their mind 3 weeks ago & purchased another house!!!

Priced just below the last 4 houses sold in the area.

I agree that houses tend to sell themselves once you have them on Daft, Myhomes + Sign outside etc.

When under pressure you just want to cover every possible angle.

I know August is pretty much a dead month when it comes to house selling hence my curiosity about other EA's.

I'll chat with my EA on Monday & sound him out on what he feels could work. I'll mention about a paper advert to him.

I don't know how some people do this on a regular basis, buying & selling their home, this is my second house purchase & hopefully my last in this lifetime!!!

Once again, many thanks for all your helpful comments.

Room101

Hi room 101 You say your agent has been on the ball in getting back to you ,so you could consider yourself lucky there. The tone of your post suggests that you are panicing by running to another agent without wanting to engage him fully. The reason you say is time pressure as you are under pressure from the sellers of the house you want. I would not advise signing any contract and parting with the usual 10% until you have a signed contract unless of course you can get a bridging loan from your own bank or building society . . Go back to your agent and put pressure on him .You could sell your own house for the price you want ,then look for another. You can store stuff,rent an appartment if you had to.

Hi room 101 You say your agent has been on the ball in getting back to you ,so you could consider yourself lucky there. The tone of your post suggests that you are panicing by running to another agent without wanting to engage him fully. The reason you say is time pressure as you are under pressure from the sellers of the house you want. I would not advise signing any contract and parting with the usual 10% until you have a signed contract unless of course you can get a bridging loan from your own bank or building society . . Go back to your agent and put pressure on him .You could sell your own house for the price you want ,then look for another. You can store stuff,rent an appartment if you had to.

Hi Frando,

Yes our EA has been fantastic, great communication & has a really friendly manner for viewings etc.

It all depends on how much pressure the vendor of the house I'm buying piles on. It's all a 'cause & effect' chain!, the pressure starts at the top & ripples down the chain.

Was talking to my EA this morning & he is following up on a few leads!! Fingers & toes crossed!

Room101

Hi,

Just got word back from my EA, a previous bidder on the house has come back in & offered more than my existing bidder.

The ups & downs & ups of house selling!!!!

Room101

Hi room 101, Delighted to hear things look better. We moved house in May and know what the stress is .Anyway, keep calm and good luck

Hi room 101, Delighted to hear things look better. We moved house in May and know what the stress is .Anyway, keep calm and good luck

Hi frando,

Thanks for your kind comments.

There's still a long road ahead with, I'm sure, lots of twists & turns.

Room101

Back