Estate agents - would you sell with the agent you are buying from?

Sive

Hi, when buying and selling would you sell your current house with the estate agents you are buying from? I can see both advantages and disadvantages to doing this, having difficulty working out which carries the most weight. Thanks!

Not in a million years.

Didn't like they way they conducted themselves... they nearly made me walk away from the whole deal but other half convinced me that the property was more important that the agents... wouldn't like them to behave in a similar fashion and scare off potential purchasers of my property....

The main concern I would have is that the person you are lodging bids with will know how much you're getting on your sale so could advise the the vendor to demand a higher bid. I presume there are supposed to be Chinese walls in EA offices to prevent this from happening but wouldn't bet on it.

Depends. I wouldn't worry too much about their knowing how much you're getting for your house - they don't, after all, necessarily know how much other money you have or what your total funding is. The most important thing is to get an agent who's clued in to the market in your area, who'll advertise appropriately, and who won't turn buyers off.

I wouldn't even contemplate selling my house with the EA we're buying from, because said EA is such a colossal pain to deal with; I am selling with the crowd who sold it to us, because they know the area, have had several comparable houses on over the last while - so underbidders can be directed our way, which is actually how we bought the house in the first place, having been underbidders on another one. Not to mention that they treated us decently then, while doing their best for their clients.

Go with someone you feel comfortable with - if they make you uncomfortable, they make the buyer uncomfortable, and an uncomfortable buyer will give you less money - and who knows the area and the amenities. I made extra sure, and did up a crib-sheet for the agent: what the neighbours are like, public transport, heating costs, restaurants, schools, things like that.

Back