Estate Agents Fees: Pros & Cons of selling privately

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

What Is The Pro's And Con's About Selling Your House Privatley?

Would You Sell You House Privatley

Re: Estate Agents Fee's

Using an estate agent brings you a network and contacts. Selling privately you dont get this type of exposure. Also I dont know that private citizens can post details to myhome.ie which seems the most popular site.

As an aside, my house went on the market on Friday afternoon, Sale Agreed today. Not necessarily down to gritty hard work on their behalf but rather a matter of the right place and the right time!

I did sell privately once, but that was because the buyer found out I was selling before I formally put it on the market. I took the money and ran.

I'm selling again now, and have gone through an agent for broader reach.

When last I heard, myhome.ie only took postings from estate agents.

In relation to going sale agreed, I wouldn't count the chickens yet. We put our home on the market in October, went sale agreed in November and we are now on our third 'buyer' (5 months later).

stobear,

Well done on the quick sale - I'll be positive and assume that it'll go through without any hitches....

One point intrigues me, probably because I've never been able to sell a house quickly.

Why, if you get an offer in that quickly, wouldn't you hold out for a few days (at least) to see if you couldn't get a better offer and spark off one of those magical bidding wars?

I'm speaking as the veteran of a number of bidding wars, and moreover as somebody who has increased bids without being in any way convinced that I was bidding against anyone other than an estate agent sniggering at my naivety with his hand covering the telephone.

Oh stobear, what was the secret to that quick sale? How can I get myself in the right place at the right time?

Rebecca

Oyster, I agreed to the offer because we need a quick sale and the offer was very close to the asking price, the timing is tight for us as the house we want would be ready is about 6 weeks and Mrs Bear needs to make some minor alterations before the works goes beyond allowing this. Our buyer also played hardball with the agent (although this is probably sales speak for I 'really really did earn my fee, I swear)

MissR,
I dunno, to be honest previous attempts to sell our house failed miserably with no viewers, it really was pot luck that this chap arrived in on Saturday morning demanding a viewing that same day and me having to try and make it presentable after a 11 month old running riot. Took 2 hours without a female bears touch! She did bark orders at me over the phone though! The viewing took an hour and out emerged one estate agent with a big grin on his face!

Good on you stobear - didn't mean to rain on your parade, honest....

Clearly bad news about proving to mrs. sto that tou are in any way domestically competent, however....

Congrats on the sale stobear! Now that you have a cupla euro, you wouldn't be thinking of buying a house down the country by any chance? :) Pass it on, kinda thing! It's so clean, you wouldn't have to lift a finger for months!

Rebecca

No worries, Oysterman, note the 'barking of the orders' so she still thinks I am relatively useless, athough my ironing skills and hooving abilities have already been proven, so no additional damage done

I sold my first place privately - it completely depends on your situation at the time. I was half way through doing it up and had an estate agent's valuation based on what it would fetch if I finished the job - then in came a friend of a friend who was desperate to live in the area and offered the asking price up front, no redecoration needed. It suited me at the time - I had a new place picked out - sure, you'll always wonder 'could I have made a killing' with another few bidders but there were several complications with my purchase and it was nice to know that the sale at least was something I could rely on. And it meant I could put the paintbrushes away... no weeks of viewings... etc etc. I was in a very suburban /old residential area so it was worth spreading the word among the neighbours - I figured someone would want to live there... and I was right.

Back