Estate agent fees for privately sold house

Numbs

Hi,
Say I have agreed with an estate agent to sell my house and they go off and do the usual advertising. At this stage, they have organised quite a few viewings. If I sell the house privately, i.e. somebody I know wants to buy the house, do I still have to pay the estate agent the full fee?

i am sure you would have to pay the E/A unless you take it of the market for at least 6 months,then sell to your private buyer

I would have thought that you would have to pay their costs so far and perhaps an amount as set out in your contract with them, but I would be surprised if there were any other fees payable.

I was in the same position and only had to pay advertising costs €380.

I don't think the advice here is necessarily correct. If you engage an Estate Agent to sell your house, they are entitled to their fees. If you sell to someone else during the currency of your contract with the Estate Agent, the law is that they are entitled to their fees. The EA could easily say that it is as a result of their efforts that someone you know decided to buy the house. I suppose the bottom line is either use an EA or sell yourself but be careful about having your cake and eating it.

mf

I know there was a court case around my area several years ago. It involved the sale of a yard (In the middle of a town so it would have been worth quite a lot). The selling party decided to jump ship halfway through and got a different EA.

Bottom line the first EA sued and in the end the person lost a good chunk of the proceeds in legal fees etc..

Back