Estate agent/ Auctioneer Fee: average costs

Thirsty

Looking for feedback on anyone's recent experience on costs to sell home.

I know its usually x% of sale price + VAT + outgoings/ advertising etc., though I imagine the advertisements costs would be agreed upfront?

Is the % the same across the country? Would Dublin be lower than say rural areas?

Family member paying 1.5% in Wexford though that was haggled down because they are buying through the same auctioneer

Paying 1% and €400 for marketing, the house is in Dublin northside, must say the photos have definitely been worth the additional in marketing.

Are there any auctioneers in Dublin doing a fixed price fee? Seems silly that an auctioneer will get 3 times the fee for selling a 900k house v's selling a 300k house while doing the same amount of work to sell both.

A couple of things to keep in mind on the costs of selling.

Marketing/Advertising costs are not the same as EA costs. Pay to have good photos taken. Ask who the photographer is/see their previous work. You can pay €60 to have a house photographed, you can pay hundreds. Of course the expensive may not equal the good. Good photographs are worth the trouble.

Advertising costs are also money well spent. Pay the minimal extra for a premium listing. You may get it back many times over in the sale price.

EA costs. The value an EA brings to a sale varies from almost nothing, to hundreds of thousands. True story, 2018 when the current upswing had started but was not yet in full flow, an acquaintance got 3 EAs to value his house. First 2 said €360-380k. 3rd EA said 'you have probably been told €380ish, well I would like to put the house on the market for €620k see what happens'. House sold in 3 months €595k.

The house was a 4 bed detached in a nice area, though a bit far from town. There weren't a large number of sales in the area at the time. 2 auctioneers just looked at what was in front of them, 1 saw a different picture.

It was eventually sold to an Irish family living/working in the Middle East with a long term plan to return to Ireland.

@cremeegg

Some difference. Looks as if the sellers were lucky with their particular purchasers and, of course, their E.A. Always pays to shop around even if it is time consuming and quite often a pain.

A careful study of the property price register will show that a house can sell for 25% more than a similar house. Luck probably, but maybe a good agent can find the luck.

Some estate agents are recommending having certain properties staged.

A house in my area was sold recently, it was clean, presentable and habitable, but dated. Double glazing was 20 years old as was the heating system. The plumbing and electrics were original from the 1960’s. BER rating was low.

Staging company came in, cleared everything out of the house and did some basic internal painting where needed.

Worn carpets were replaced with cheap new carpets.

Lovely dressed beds with matching lockers, dressing tables, lamps and lampshades were put in bedrooms.

Downstairs had a new sitting room suite and dining table with modern artwork on the walls and vases of fresh flowers and plants throughout.

Bathroom and kitchen received similar treatment.

Driveway and rear patio were power washed , grass and hedges were neatly trimmed.

The house did look great but I am surprised buyers did not see beyond the cosmetic job that was done, it was not the modern turnkey house that it was portrayed as.

It was put on the market at a very optimistic €625K, it sold quickly for €760K.

Once sold, all the beds, furniture, paintings, ornaments etc were removed, ready to be used on the next job.

I heard the staging in this case cost €10K, this was in addition to the estate agents fee.

Even in today's market, would the house have gone for €135K above an already high asking price without the staging, who knows.

Developers with estates for sale always put the effort in to staging the show house, they obviously believe its a good idea.

Some estate agents are recommending having certain properties staged.

A house in my area was sold recently, it was clean, presentable and habitable, but dated. Double glazing was 20 years old as was the heating system. The plumbing and electrics were original from the 1960’s. BER rating was low.

Staging company came in, cleared everything out of the house and did some basic internal painting where needed.

Worn carpets were replaced with cheap new carpets.

Lovely dressed beds with matching lockers, dressing tables, lamps and lampshades were put in bedrooms.

Downstairs had a new sitting room suite and dining table with modern artwork on the walls and vases of fresh flowers and plants throughout.

Bathroom and kitchen received similar treatment.

Driveway and rear patio were power washed , grass and hedges were neatly trimmed.

The house did look great but I am surprised buyers did not see beyond the cosmetic job that was done, it was not the modern turnkey house that it was portrayed as.

It was put on the market at a very optimistic €625K, it sold quickly for €760K.

Once sold, all the beds, furniture, paintings, ornaments etc were removed, ready to be used on the next job.

I heard the staging in this case cost €10K, this was in addition to the estate agents fee.

Even in today's market, would the house have gone for €135K above an already high asking price without the staging, who knows.
I guess people’s lack of imagination and/or how easily they can be swayed by cosmetics can’t be underestimated.

I guess people’s lack of imagination and/or how easily they can be swayed by cosmetics can’t be underestimated.
There's a reason that developers pay big money to have show homes kitted out, the ability to visualise what a space might be isn't all that common.

With emotion playing a big part in purchasing a home, the easier you make it for someone to visualise themselves living in the space the better.

Are there any auctioneers in Dublin doing a fixed price fee? Seems silly that an auctioneer will get 3 times the fee for selling a 900k house v's selling a 300k house while doing the same amount of work to sell both.
View a few properties in sale near your own home to get a sense of what agents present properties well. I was quickly able to rule a couple out using that approach when I sold.

Auctioneera and Moovingo both do fixed price fees.

The agents that charge a % usually charge a lower % for higher value homes.

Auctioneera was asked about last year; https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...ra-ie-to-sell-a-property.225128/#post-1761638

Back