Estate Agent Admin Fees

Sanparom

We are planning on putting our house up for sale in the near future. We had it valued a few days ago and the agent (from one of the well-known companies) outlined the fees (percentage of sale price and admin fees). Taking everything into account, the cost seems huge. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used an online agent or one of the less 'traditional' ones (not sure if I'm allowed to name names?). I have done a bit of research and see a massive difference in costs, but does this come with pitfalls?

I just got a quote recently too. The EA explained they are one of the dearest but gave an impressive sales pitch in fairness to her.

The costs are as follows:

- An up-front €560 (incl VAT) for the For Sale sign, internet listings, etc
- Plus 1.5% (VAT not included) of the Sale Price when/if the house is sold.

I thought it sounded expensive.

That does sound expensive. My quote was similar, but the admin fees (excl BER ratings) were over €700. Hefty. I was looking at some of those online ones and one of them is quoting €999 all-in, but is that too good to be true?

We have a local one nearby who seem to shift a good few houses - their fee is only 1%. They don't seem quite as professional though. It can be a bit of a murky industry.

I sold a house years ago with an EA who used a 'reasonable' flat fee, no %. I wouldn't do it again though. He was extremely pushy and almost aggressively encouraging us to accept any and every bid that came in.

DNG on an apartment 6 months ago -
1.25%+VAT
€400 marketing budget. Ended up knocking this down to €100 when Covid hit as they could not get out to take photos/videos in full lock down.

Seeing the number of times agents need to visit now, as each viewer needs a separate appointment, I'd say the fee is not unreasonable. Definitely did not feel that pre-Covid though.

We are planning on putting our house up for sale in the near future. We had it valued a few days ago and the agent (from one of the well-known companies) outlined the fees (percentage of sale price and admin fees). Taking everything into account, the cost seems huge. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used an online agent or one of the less 'traditional' ones (not sure if I'm allowed to name names?). I have done a bit of research and see a massive difference in costs, but does this come with pitfalls?

How much were you quoted ?

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever used an online agent or one of the less 'traditional' ones (not sure if I'm allowed to name names?).

Picking a cheaper or online EA might signal to the market that you don't want a sale.

1.5% isn't expensive if they can get you 2% more than the other guy.

I sold my in-laws' house with a top name brand and I really couldn't fault the marketing and how they dealt with bidders. It sold 15% over what I thought was a fair asking price.

Picking a cheaper or online EA might signal to the market that you don't want a sale.

1.5% isn't expensive if they can get you 2% more than the other guy.

I sold my in-laws' house with a top name brand and I really couldn't fault the marketing and how they dealt with bidders. It sold 15% over what I thought was a fair asking price.

Wow, that sounds very encouraging!

Why does it cost €7,500+vat to sell a 3 bed semi d in ballinteer and €4,500 to sell a 3 bed semi d in Clondalkin?

I've never understood that.

In the UK commission is mostly at 1% or a fixed fee.

Another way is if house is approx 400k, it's 1% 400k or lower and 0.01% higher for every 1k over 400k up to 1.75%

So €420k = 1.2%, €430k = 1.3% €450k = 1.5% etc

Good incentive to get best price

Having experience with a 1599 euro all in agent, I couldn't fault them. Professional photographer, ads on daft and myhome, feedback logged for every viewing. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would not go with them. A house will only sell for whatever people are prepared to pay. An agent was useful in pre internet days to attract viewers. Now, not so much. The idea that one agent can get more money than another is rubbish. The buyer dictates the price. Also these guys used to be part of an established agent but have set up on their own so they know what they're doing... Save yourself thousands.

Having experience with a 1599 euro all in agent, I couldn't fault them. Professional photographer, ads on daft and myhome, feedback logged for every viewing. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would not go with them. A house will only sell for whatever people are prepared to pay. An agent was useful in pre internet days to attract viewers. Now, not so much. The idea that one agent can get more money than another is rubbish. The buyer dictates the price. Also these guys used to be part of an established agent but have set up on their own so they know what they're doing... Save yourself thousands.

That's very interesting, thanks. It makes total sense. We could save ourselves around 3000 euro by doing it this way! I'm just nervous about having to do the viewings ourselves! Don't want to mess things up!

When we sold our house a few years ago, we decided against paying an EA. We knew the price of the houses in our estate and in fact still got 20k more than the most of the houses that sold at the same time as ours. I felt more in control and we were clearly able to provide the viewers with more accurate information on the house and the neighbours which was important. Saved a nice bit of change and didn't really mind overall. I think if your expecting to have many people interested in the house then maybe the EA plays a more vital role when it comes to negotiating. In our case I simply didn't think the fees for an EA were worth it.

I played two estate agents off each other. This commission business is nonsense and I insisted on a fixed fee. It ended up being circa 0.75% of the sale price including advertising fees and signage et al

Back