Establish Base Cost for CGT

willalex

My Father & his Sister owned equal share of 10 acres.

When my Aunt Died 10 years ago (2007), I inherited her 50% share.

Therefore I became joint owner with my father.

My father died last year (2017), and I then inherited his share, now full owner,

I want to give my son 1 acre at a nominal price for him to build a house.

I know I have to apply market value for the sale/gift.

But how to I work out the base cost?

If inland revenue affidavits were filed in respect of the 2 estates, these should value the assets in the estate.

Likewise, if inheritance tax returns were filed for your respective inheritances, these would value each inheritance you received.

If inland revenue affidavits were filed in respect of the 2 estates, these should value the assets in the estate.

Likewise, if inheritance tax returns were filed for your respective inheritances, these would value each inheritance you received.
Just make sure those valuations are justifiable. Sometimes they're clearly way off and a retrospective revaluation is necessary. Consider getting professional advice if the amounts involved appear sizeable.

Just make sure those valuations are justifiable. Sometimes they're clearly way off and a retrospective revaluation is necessary. Consider getting professional advice if the amounts involved appear sizeable.

Thanks but CGT, Do I take value of 50% inherited in 2007 and add that to 50% valued in 2017, that is have two different base costs

For a part disposal, I understand I use the following formula:

C x A
A+B

A. sale proceeds... I know the figure
B. Value of remaining portion....I know the figure
C. Cost ?

Inherited 50% in 2007 only
Inherited other 50% 2017

"C" is what I am trying to work out.

Might also be worth checking if the exemption outlined on the following page [see 'Transfer of a site from a parent to a child' at bottom of the page] can be availed of:

[broken link removed]

Back