ESRI: 17% of people receiving rent support from taxpayer are in top half of earners!

Even some social housing tenants are behind in their heavily subsidised rent. Oh and the cherry on that cake is it is almost impossible to evict them because it's political suicide to even suggest changing the ruled.

Why does nothing change? It's because screwing the system is a badge of honour in Ireland and those who don't get screwed over and over again and no one in power is willing to call them out on it.
64% or the majority of Dublin city council tenants are in arrears, more than half owe more than €500, which would represent in most case more than 2 months rent.

Why would you pay for something that you can get for free by, well, just not paying for it?
Because they are taking legal action against the worst arrears cases now? It seems council did not in recent years, but if that changes, then there will be more of a "stick". It is possible to lose your eligibility to social housing entirely in this way and its not where anybody wants to be.

Because they are taking legal action against the worst arrears cases now? It seems council did not in recent years, but if that changes, then there will be more of a "stick". It is possible to lose your eligibility to social housing entirely in this way and its not where anybody wants to be.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If the mob protests to help bankrupt developers keep their homes they'll be up in arms when "the vulnerable" are being turfed out.

It'll never happen, I could write the headlines now, and it would just add more ,nonsense in an Ireland that still thinks landlords, including governments are there to be abused.

Back