ESB Networks "is this a good time?/beat the peak" pilot project

ClubMan

Only signed up for this last night having seen their ad on TV so I've no idea yet how much use it will be, but just posting it here on case it's of any interest to others.

This could be a great scheme if they offered cheaper unit charges at the low demand or excess generation periods. This was supposed to be what smart metering was all about. Unfortunately in this country the idea of giving the ordinary citizen a break doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Instead of wasting time money and effort on this window dressing, maybe they could concentrate their efforts on supplying up-to-date data to Electric Ireland to produce bills.

My last bill was dated 26-Sep based on a reading I supplied on 10-Sep. 16 days to type in a few numbers, produce a PDF invoice & email it. Even by public services standards that seems a trifle excessive and they can't blame their unionised colleagues in An Post anymore.

I phoned last Weds to enquire about a new bill and was told I'd have my new bill by Friday last. No Bill of course.

I phoned again this evening and I was asked to supply a meter reading by the Electric Ireland customer services rep. When I asked why the "smart-meter" investment wasn't working she told me that from a billings perspective, their world is in a state of chaos. I supplied the reading and was promised an up-to-date bill within 24 hours. This is the way stuff worked before the "smart-meter" waste.

Please don't play these silly games with ESB PR teams, it'll just slow down our bills even more. 75 days and counting since 10-Sep ...

Only signed up for this last night having seen their ad on TV so I've no idea yet how much use it will be, but just posting it here on case it's of any interest to others.

Hi Clubman,

Signed up for it but would have to say I find it a little disappointing. To me it is bad advice to dry clothes indoors even in a well ventilated room and this was one of their recommendations this week. They are not the only ones to be recommending this of late. I could be totally wrong but my gut feeling is that you would do more damage cost wise to your house with mould, dampness and condensation than you would pay by using the dryer.

I also saw this recommendation elsewhere and they say to clear out your fridge/freezer so that it won't have to work so hard to keep food cold/frozen. I have always read down through the years that it is best to keep the freezer stocked and if you don't then put newspaper in it to fill the space and save electricity. Never happens in our house as practically have to kick the food in because of lack of space :D

Fridge and freezer​

Clearing the fridge out is arguably one of the worst household tasks, but doing so could save you money in the long run.

Running this one appliance costs you around €158.58 per year, but while you cannot simply turn off your fridge, there are ways to ensure it works as efficiently as possible.

The simplest way to ensure the fridge functions correctly, according to Natalie, is to routinely clean the exterior and interior.

She said: “As every household needs to keep their fridge/freezer on, it is hardly surprising that over 12 per cent of the entire household’s energy comes from running the fridge/freezer alone.

“Dusting the exterior means the cooling system won’t get affected, whereas cleaning the interior and disposing of any out-of-date food will ensure that the fridge doesn’t need to work as hard to keep food cool or frozen.”

The idea of drying clothes indoors in a person's home in winter in Ireland is lunacy.

Recently a child in Rochdale died as a result of black mould.

There are periods when there is plenty of wind generated electricity in Ireland and in future this will be even more so. This environmentally friendly electricity could be used to power tumble dryers.
What is needed is to use a communication app and the smart metering system to alert people as to when there is surplus electricity available and to charge a lower price for this electricity.

Asthma and Lung UK say mould in your home...

1. Can damage the lungs
  2. Trigger asthma attacks
  3. Trigger allergies in those who already suffer
  4. Exacerbate or cause mental health issues.

Last edited:
The idea of drying clothes indoors in a person's home in winter in Ireland is lunacy.
We regularly dry clothes indoors when the weather dictates, but then we have adequate ventilation in the area in which we do so. Zero mould issues.

Back