ESB Networks €50 refund due to overcharging

CRU make these decisions on their own bat and don't defer back to central government to cross subsidise, just like decisions on things like standing charges are made by them alone.
How is it a responsibility of the CRU to bring in measures in relation to job losses?

Standing charges are one thing, relating to the cost of providing the service. This is entirely different.

It was actually signed off by the Cabinet

Maybe it was done this way due to EU market rules, but it is very fishy if it done not have a legitimate basis in cost delivery under those same rules.

Last edited:

More controversy this time regarding claims by some energy providers that they are 100% renewables when this is in fact impossible in Ireland.
What the hell are the energy regulator the CRU at, another regulator asleep at the wheel.
In the article it says companies give their "fuel mix disclosure " to the regulator the CRU.
That raises another interesting question can we trust that the actual fuel mix the energy regulator is providing in all the statistics actually correct, and is our actual renewables proportion of total fuel mix much lower than stated in all the statistics. Every time you check the real time energy mix from eirgrid , fossil fuels are much higher than the stated statistics. I think those figures from the CRU are just wrong

More details on the refund.

The Commission for the Regulation of Utilities (CRU) has formally announced today that electricity customers will receive a payment of €89.10 as the charge to fund renewables is not needed due to the high wholesale price of electricity. The payment will be made in monthly installments of €12.73 from March to September. Customers will receive the payment as a credit on their bills.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the Electric Ireland only €50 rebate. Methinks there is a €50 rebate from ESB Networks for all relating to miscalculation of a subsidy to large energy users and the €89 is a separate rebate for all relating to unjustified renewable energy subsidies. Every chance I'm just befuddled.

I'm aware of the Electric Ireland only €50 rebate. Methinks there is a €50 rebate from ESB Networks for all relating to miscalculation of a subsidy to large energy users and the €89 is a separate rebate for all relating to unjustified renewable energy subsidies. Every chance I'm just befuddled.
Reads article again...

I think you are right. So every customer will get the 89.10e (renewables rebate) and 50e (exact amount TBD) for overcharging. And Electric Ireland customers will also get a 50e cost of living rebate.

Reads article again...

I think you are right. So every customer will get the 89.10e (renewables rebate) and 50e (exact amount TBD) for overcharging. And Electric Ireland customers will also get a 50e cost of living rebate.
Plus the cost of living €200 subsidy?
At this rate it'll be like the water charges refund and I'll be making money again... :⁠-⁠)

The elec bill of my aunt is negative 650, yes minus 650.

She uses very little elec, she gets 35 pm off the bill, so her bills are typically very low.

The three 200 euro credits have pushed her into large credit with the ESB.

She even wondered out loud what would happen to the 650 if she died?

The elec bill of my aunt is negative 650, yes minus 650.

She uses very little elec, she gets 35 pm off the bill, so her bills are typically very low.

The three 200 euro credits have pushed her into large credit with the ESB.

She even wondered out loud what would happen to the 650 if she died?
What about the esb workers and former workers ,don't they get huge discounts on their bills anyway, I presume they also got these top ups and rebates

More controversy this time regarding claims by some energy providers that they are 100% renewables when this is in fact impossible in Ireland.
What the hell are the energy regulator the CRU at, another regulator asleep at the wheel.
In the article it says companies give their "fuel mix disclosure " to the regulator the CRU.
That raises another interesting question can we trust that the actual fuel mix the energy regulator is providing in all the statistics actually correct, and is our actual renewables proportion of total fuel mix much lower than stated in all the statistics. Every time you check the real time energy mix from eirgrid , fossil fuels are much higher than the stated statistics. I think those figures from the CRU are just wrong
the 100% renewables from SSE etc in ireland was always a farce, how anyone believed this is beyond me in a country which is Gas dependent for its elec (c.70%)!

Back