ESB Ecars auto renewed without a renewal notice (after free initial subscription)

Laughahalla

Hi,
Hoping someone might have experience with dealing with an auto renewal subscription.

Background - 2 years ago - November 2019 - I signed up to a free offer from ESB Ecars that gave free subscription for a year to the charging network, The subscription entitled you to a discount over pay as you go rates when charging. I registered for it and forgot about it. I didn't even use the charging network so not to the forefront of my mind.

By accident , I checked my account as the App was on my phone. I went into account and it shows "subscription" invoices going back since last November 2020. My card expiry had changed over a year ago so there was noting coming out of my account.
I didn't receive a renewal notice, it just auto renewed without notice. So for the past 10 or so months it's been adding invoices to my account.

I would have at least expected to be told that payment had been declined due to the expiry date but nothing.

I've contacted ESB Ecars and they say I need to pay them for the past 10 months and that they will not close account until I do. I am taking this means they will not cancel my subscription and continue to Invoice.

Looking at the the terms & conditions, They should have contacted me and if payment did not go through within 14 days my account should have been suspended.

T&C
8.5 Should payment be declined, or fail for reasons associated with payment card validity, lack of adequate funds, or other card-related issue not connected with our payment processing systems, We will let You know.

8.6 In the event that You fail to resolve the issue within 14 days of the initial payment failure, Your account will be disabled and all Charge Point Access Cards de-activated

Any ideas how to handle this?

Last edited:
Back