ESB cut off what are implciations for landlord? House in RAS scheme.

smurf

I was notified by ESB that a tenent ESB has been cut off.
The rent is paid as the property is in the RAS scheme.

What are the implcications of this from the landlords perspective?
TA

In whose name is the ESB acct?

From my experience -and I know other LLs have slightly different experiences- if bill in tenants name then there's no problem. You owe nothing and can have it switched to your name and, when new tenant comes, in their name.

If it's in your name then you must pay, inc. reconnection.
Having said that, a LL friend of mine who had supply in her name cut off begged and pleaded and ESB relented. Mind you, she did tell them that she'd go to another supply company if they played hardball.

Its in Tenannts name
I am just wondering, I still get rent what are the downsides
eg candle usage fire hazard
Storage heating (no heating ) house deterioration

Very quite tenent (suspect he uses house intermittently - his situation might have change ....
any thoughts

Advise, in writing, the the local authority who is paying the rent that the ESB is in the tenant's name but that the ESB have notified you that the electric has been cut off.

It is hardly any of their business to be perfectly honest.

If the tenant wants to live in the dark so be it.

If OP informs local authority they may stop payment as tenant is not really living there.
Come to think of it is there any proof that tenant is staying there at all? Maybe he's gone - or dead in bed.

It is hardly any of their business.

Surely the local authority is obliged to ensure that public funds (RAS scheme) are properly accounted for? and to discharge its responsibilities as housing authority for the area?

Do you suspect that the tenant is simply using the house as an "accommodation address". Do you suspect fraud on the part of the tenant?

Is the LL's house properly insured for a house with the electricity cut off?

If the electricity supply is disconnected for 6 months or more and you or a new tenant apply for the supply to be re connected you or the tenant will have to supply a wiring cert confirming that the wiring and electrical circuitry is ok, dont know the cost of an electrician nowadays but bear it in mind. I cant remember exactly but I think I read in the past that if its disconnected for maybe 2 years ESB Networks will treat it as a new connection and charge you accordingly

The Esb charge in your case will be 80 euro plus whatever your electrician charges for the cert. As a matter of interest let us know what your electrician charges.

update to this situation

I have informed the cc of the situation
I am concerned regarding a number of factors

1. High risk of Water leaks and damages as no heat (storage heaters are used in house)
2. Increased risk of fire as potential use of candles for lighting

3. I believe the houses are rendered uninsured if there is no electricity in place

4. I have tried to communicate to residents by text / phone but get no response.

I have never experienced such a situation as I am very responsive to the tenants if there is ever a house issue ..... but this is a conractual isssue between the utility company and the individual not the house owner.

I have asked the cc what protocols are in place for this as I believe its untenable that this situation persists and that notice resoulution needs to issued

I will need to read the contract ... but as I understand the cc have rented the hosue from me for 3 yrs -- hard to see if teh esb is not being paid that this would stop becouse of that any the risk of house fire / decay is of higher concern that non payment of rent

any more thoughts?

After 3 weeks of no electricity and you trying to contact the tenant I assume by now you have entered the property to ensure all is O.K. with both the property and the tenant ?

I'd write everything that you've done trying to contact the tenant -perhaps your mobile still has records of attempted calls and texts.
Strictly speaking you should give reasonable notice before entering but i think even Facetious, our expert on LL-tenancy regulations, would agree you have now the right to enter.

It could be that he is on a long trip, sick or even dead which I feel is more likely than he's living there using candles. Whilst not using heating is not great for a house in Winter at least you can't complain of too much wear and tear !

i wonder if informing the cc may cause them to cease rental payments.

I agree, oldnick - after three weeks with no response from the tenant, you could class this as an emergency - you want to verify that there is no damage to the property as regards water leaks, freezing pipes etc and to ensure that the tenant is not dead in the property (possibly due to cold in the property because there is no electricity.

I am not "au fait" as regards the RAS scheme, but it may be worth writing to the cc and pointing out that they may be liable for any damage to the property should a pipe burst due to lack of heating within the property.

Just a suggestion!!

The tenant is obliged to "Keep the property in good order"

Not heating a property may cause damage in itself.

I at the point of issuing notice to vacate (NO ESB reconnected) ............. If I thought there was a genuine risk that the tenant might damage property can I take possession of Property immediately

Smurf

He has not left .... happy to be there with no ESB .... he seems to come and go away to sisters for short periods.
I am issuing notice to vacate
Its during one periods liek now when he is with sister that I wonder can I enter to protect property -- i fear he may damage

Back