ESB Bills Crippling Us!

I may have missed it but I can't see how you are heating your hot water. I guess you must have an immersion. My daughter moved into an appt with storage heaters and the bills were very high but we pinned it down to a daft timer on the immersion that had it coming on at night for a minimum of 4 hours.

Remember that even though you may have night rate electric it still isn't free. This was a typical celtic tiger "cheap as possible, don't worry about efficiency the tenant just has to swallow it" control on the immersion.

Update:

4-bed det, OFCH, one electric shower, most bulbs low energy.

Most appliances Bosch / AEG / Electrolux, most low energy

2011 bills = 2495 units, 512 euro, or 85.33 per 2 months.

Prices per unit:

Mid-2011: BGE, unit rate = 14.1c, discount finished

Mid-2011: switched back to ESB, 12.86c plus some discount for online billing and DD.

The ESB unit rate has since increased to 14.76c.

85 units per month...thats wild impressive

I may have missed it but I can't see how you are heating your hot water. I guess you must have an immersion.

When the OFCH is on, for maybe 3-4 hrs per day, that heats the water.

When the OFCH isn't on ("summer" months), then there is no hot water in general.

Yes, we had an immersion, now replaced with a Willis water heater. This is turned on a few times per week to provide some hot water.

I live in an 2 bed apartment, 3 night storage heaters & hot water immersion timer comes on during the cheaper rate of electricity. As one poster already mentioned the night saver rate is not free.

The nightsaver rate only applies between 11 pm - 8 am. Have you compared your bill with neighbours on similar usage? and if you still feel you bills are high - I would even suggest getting a good electrician to check it out for you.

In 2005 I was getting Electric bills in the region €300 - €400 despite cutting down with energy save bulbs etc.

It turned out the meters were wired incorrectly - I was actually getting the bills for the apartment downstairs!

The best way to check is turn off all applicances and check your meter - the meter wheel should be almost stopped - then boil a kettle and see if it increases in speed, this may sound crazy but you need to do this yourself because believe me the utility company are absolutely no help - we had a fight on our hands to even get the company to come out and check the meter and having proven been billed incorrectly was another fight altogether.

I was under the impression nightssaver hours in summer went on till 9 am. I stand corrected?

Storage heaters are costly to run.

A few years ago they built a new council estate, I think in Ballyshannon, Donegal, with storage heaters and a large number of tenants got into debt. When we rented a house with them in we simply never used them.

We get the Household Benefit package and at the moment ESB owe us E2..

Back