ESB account owner or tenants names

Haille

I am in the process of purchasing an investment property from my brother which I intend to let out.Will the ESB charge me for transfer of name , is it 300 euro? When I let out the property is it best to transfer the account in to the tenants names to avoid being left with large tenants bill? Is there a charge each time once you have change of tenants. Would a direct debit from tenants account work while keeping the account in my name? Advice welcome.

No charge for name transfer to new owner.
However, when you transfer bills to a named non-owner/tenant, afaik, any default on payment will land with you.

Absolutely always have the bill in the tenants name. They have to go to the ESB to do this. Best is to write down the meter reading in their presence. You can then phone the ESB with this and they will send you a final bill. Tenant then registers in his/her name and AFAIK they have to pay a deposit to the ESB whereas houseowners don't. Once the bill is in their name and if they default the ESB have to chase them and it's got nothing to do with you.

You could always ring the ESB to clarify.

If the tenant gets the account in their name, and agrees to set up a direct debit with the ESB they won't have to pay the security deposit. It saves you being left with a bill unpaid.

No, if they go with a DD no deposit, but they can still go the original route of the good auld fashioned bill paid at the post office, but they have to first pay a deposit to the ESB.

Always put all bills into the tennants own name.

Back