ericsson mobile 2 months old, broken but get no help?

jsmk

My friend got a new phone from 3, an ericsson mobile, 2 months after its not working. She went back to 3 to get it fixed, they sent it to get repaired. After 2 weeks she got it back with a note saying sorry the warranty is not valid, cos its a water damage. She knows she didnt get the phone wet and there is no trace of water in the phone so they said it may have been some moist in the phone earlier. And they refuse to help her. What can she do?

Nothing, similar thing happened to me couple of years ago, I had a billpay mobile from vodafone, I even took out insurance on it. They refused to repair the phone or to even offer a replacement because the damage was not covered by the warranty or the insurance policy. Needless to say, I immediately cancelled the insurance policy and I had to purchase another phone.

Funny... my GF sent her phone (a Nokia) back to Meteor because it stopped working (the phone would freeze when you went into certain menus, but not in others). You would expect this to be a software issue right? But no no, apparently it's water damage.

This is despite the problem literally appearing over night (she was texting me from bed, got up the next day and the phone wouldn't work).

Anyone think it's worth pushing further??

Not really, no.

They can usually back up their claims of liquid damage with a picture showing damge to the inside of the phone. If you really don't believe them ask for this proof, or at least a technician's report. Once they have this you have very little chance of getting anything out of them.

It is very easy to end up with moisture damage on a phone, it doesn't have to be dropped in a pint/toilet/puddle. Rain and kids chewing on it are frequent causes.

Hi
I upgraded my O2 bill pay phone on 11 FEB, phone has very poor sound quality, and after 3.5 weeks it stopped making connection to phone network. I only got to return the phone on 18 March, and was told it would take 5-8 working days. Yesterday (15 Apr) I got a text saying it was back in store (50 Grafton Store) and another text saying "phone it's just not fixable".
I went to store today to collect what I thought would be a replacement and the first guy told me it had water damage and therefore wasn't entitled to a replacement. The manager then came and told me it had a cracked board which probable happened by bending the phone probably from having it in my pocket.
This to me would mean, that a mobile phone was not fit for purpose. Now I am without a phone. Has anyone had a similiar experience and if so what happened.

The water damage excuse is the no.1 excuse now for not bothering to fix a phone. I had a ony ericcson k850i, and over time the touch screen stopped working. After extensive research on the net, i found out that this specific phone had a faulty pcb board problem. I brought it back and got the water damage answer. I bought the pcb board off ebay for 11 euro and put it in. Phone brand new again. Disgraceful.

You could try calling Fonefix in Finglas (St Margarets Road) they are the registered company in Ireland to fix Sony Ericsson phones.
I brought mine there and I had it back in 2 weeks as it needed a new board and they updated the software etc. It was free as it was still under warranty. Call them first and they should be able to tell you if they can do anything for you. I had purchased the phone sim free and am with vodafone. But I dont think it matters if you got it from an operater once you are under the manufacturer's year warranty.

Back