Environmental Jobs...

S

stuart1234

hi,
After 8 yrs I decided to change my career from a Java Developer to an Environmental Officer in the belief that I could get out there and deal with people on a daily basis and maybe do some good along the way!
I tested the water with a certificate in Natural Sciences with the OU on a part-time basis and needless to say I really enjoyed the course. I then decided to do a Masters and so I completed the M.Sc. in Environemental Resource Managment at UCD.
However, despite all this I cannot get a job and I seem to be destined to be a Java developer forever!

Can anyone give me some advice, I really don't know what to do!
I have even thought about sticking with IT and perhaps opening a business as an IT trouble shooter - not exactly helping the planet but it has to be more interesting than my current job.

any advice please!

sorry but doing that sort of enviro work won't save the plant.
The only folks hiring are consultants (White Green and Young for example - ask them for ideas on appropriate qualifications) and also county and city councils.
You got a bum steer regarding EO jobs from those courses. The only route is back to school for 3/4 years in DIT.

hi Nelly,
thanks for the response.
I'm not planning to tie myself to a tree to save the planet!!
I just wanted a more worthwhile and definitely more social job than IT development.
have you done an environment course in DIT?
Also my major stumpling block seems to be experience, believe it or not I have managed to get through the door for an interview but was knocked back because of a lack of experience.

I am slowly coming to believe that changing your career is an impossible task. I drifted into IT after school.

I am slowly coming to believe that changing your career is an impossible task. I drifted into IT after school.

I think the issue is there are plenty of people out there with four year full-time degrees looking for the same job.

If I were you I'd contract in Java to save some more money in the short-term and then keep on studying for the life sciences job or whatever takes your fancy.

I'm in IT a long time but started out with a degree in the Life Sciences. It takes a lot of study to get anywhere in any Life Science, much more so than IT.

You've got to realise that and set yourself longer-term goals, and don't lose heart.

Congratulations on your Masters by the way!

If you persist I'm sure you will succeed. Consider other options also as I'm sure you could be bored in any career and maybe you just need another role in the IT industry perhaps working for yourself to get you excited again.

Gearoid

no i did not do that course i did a BSc in Environmental Science. Experience is a cop out because it is more safety than environmental in the true sense of the word - you check food preparation places to see if foods are segregated, correctly labled etc etc.
its not a job that screams that you have to be a people person to be honest. i keep thinkin of the episode of friends when Phoebe was dating the OH guy, very funny.

hi Geariod,
thanks!
I know it takes time, but it is more than frustrating.

Hi Nelly,
Have you been successful in getting a job with your Environmental Science degree?

Hi Stuart

God its ironic Im an EHO trying to get out of maybe into finance and youre looking to get into it!! TBH I wasnt into the course itself did BSc in Manchester and should have changed but thats another story..

In brief you ideally would need to do a BSc in Environmental Health and complete a log book, in the North and England its accredited to the CIEH. Speaking from experience this is the biggest money spinner and waste of time, but unfort in order to go into food safety in both places you need to complete it. Depends on what your area of interest is. I did my placement in the North and had enough of working for free for 6mths and decided not to complete it and worked in the South for over 3yrs and it hasnt held me back, Im now in Dubai working for an airline catering company in the hygiene dept. you need to complete it for the South also but its not as demanding which is good and the EHOs are more helpful they actually spend time helping to complete it woth you, again this is from experience.

Im not exactly sure where you are based, on the border counties etc. If I were you I'd contact your regional health boards and ask to speak to the Principal EHO's I know in the North due to lack of EHO's coming out of colleges they have opened up their doors to EH technicians with a view to doing your log book etc and a fully fledged EHO. This may be the more viable option if they dont accept your current qualification. From experience the councils in the North tend to have an air of snobbery, for some reason thats beyond comprehesion, about them I found the South a more relaxed and younger environment.

I hope this may provide some light for you but definately contact the councils and health boards they should be able to shed more light on their entry requirements.

As for the job itself you do get out and about a good bit, Im more food safety, at the start Im sure most proprietors cant see you far enough but once you've been in a district a while you do build a relationship with most, some will always be complete spanners but thats everywhere, and for me i always liked to have a bit of a chat with them, depends on your personality I do think you have to be in some form personable otherwise you'll hit a brick wall, which is fair enough I'd be the same.

I really do hope this has helped and you see the light at the end of the tunnel for you. Fair played to taking the step I hope it all works out.

Environmental Health Offficer qualifications are a BSc in Env. Health. I believe that this is the only qualification accepted form Ireland (apart form people who qulaified over 24 years ago). For foreign eho's they have to get their qualifications accepted by the Dept.of Health. There are a good few uk eho's in the country and i think there has been an EHO from Oz in the recent past. You can get credit for other courses whilst doing the BSc in Cathal Brugha. It depends on who you speak to. One person I know done the four year course after looking for for exemptions.. and not getting them. Afterwards found out she was entitled to exemptions. If you have a MSc i would imagine you must be able to get fairly major exemptions. Speak to the head of school for environmental health in DIT cathal brugha street might be the best approach. Job availability is always a bit funny. Seems to be either a shortage or a glut. Best of luck.

Is it a job as an Environmental Officer or an Environmental Health Officer you want? Have you tried construction companies? There s a lot of large scale building happening at the moment (M50, M3) Pharma companies, industry. It may be easier to get a first job by first going to smaller companies. I have rarely seen an advert for an enviro job in newspapers. www.envirocentre.ie lists a number of enviro consultancies. There are also other environmental focussed sites that might yield results.

Back